What size bilge pump?

Fab1

Hi guys,what size is recommended for a 14ft boat?

My old glass boat had a 750gph pump on a 17footer.

Im thinking 500gph or is it a case of the bigger the better.

I do not go offshore it's just that I realised I need one to stay legal.

Thanks.

depends on what risk your boat is at
lots of through hull fittings, or bait tanks with over flows then add more capacity

a 360gl pump after a few m of hose and 50cm lift will only pump about 20l per minute
a 20mm through hull transom pump failure will pump 10 times that into a boat

Hi guys,what size is recommended for a 14ft boat?

My old glass boat had a 750gph pump on a 17footer.

Im thinking 500gph or is it a case of the bigger the better.

I do not go offshore it's just that I realised I need one to stay legal.

Thanks.

I don't think you need to have one to stay legal, you just need some kind of bailing system but a bilge pump is a better option.

Bigger is better especially in an emergency when you need to get water out of the boat in a hurry. I have a 500GPH in my 4.9m with a float switch but there is nothing wrong with going bigger.

I would recommend fitting a strainer to the bilge pump as well or it could block up when you really need it like mine did once. Also check that you can hear it working before every trip.

I don't think you need to have one to stay legal, you just need some kind of bailing system but a bilge pump is a better option.

Bigger is better especially in an emergency when you need to get water out of the boat in a hurry. I have a 500GPH in my 4.9m with a float switch but there is nothing wrong with going bigger.

I would recommend fitting a strainer to the bilge pump as well or it could block up when you really need it like mine did once. Also check that you can hear it working before every trip.

for enclosed and open waters 1 is required

nottation as more then one may be required depending on the boat

from the rms maritime website

Bilge pump –
Manual or auto (vessel with covered bilge(s) or closed
under-floor compartments other than airtight void spaces and must

be capable of draining each compartment)

i always recommend bigger is better. when you go past 800gph you usually up your hose diameter from 19mm to 25mm so.. keep than in mind when looking for skin fittings and hose. but yep. the bigger the pump the quicker the water goes away :P

personally i recommend the johnson ultima pumps with its solid state auto switch.. no float switch, just field effect digital switch. reliable and powerful... just not.. entirely cheap.

Moose

Thanks guys,bought a 800gph Rule pump with strainer as I only fish estuaries/bays.

And yes even though I only have a tinny it has floors and its impossible in an emergency to bail water out with a bailer until the water is up over the floor.

I bet there's a few boats out there illegally operating like I was whether the owners are aware or not.

My son and I where anchored at the mouth to burranear bay the other week when maritime came over and asked to see my pfd,s for both of us,my fire extinguisher,and my oars.

He was a friendly guy and I had all that but if he asked if I had a bilge pump I would be done for.

For $34.95 it's added safety and peace of mind.

post-20199-0-28497800-1428380403_thumb.jpg

Cheers guys.!