Glass v Alloy

antonywardle

HI

Probably an obvious question but I've noticed that the same sized boat in Glass and Alloy

have big differences in engine sizes. Am I correct in assuming that the main reason

for this is that Alloy is a lot lighter so a smaller motor will give you the same performance

as a big engine on a glass boat?

Or are Alloy boats just rated for a smaller engine ?

Good question Rami and while I have read plenty on this I can't say I have the practical experience that

other Raiders may have.

I do think the question should be expanded though to what are the pro's and con's of Fiberglass, Pressed Aluminum, Plate Aluminum and possibly even Poly Boats.

Perhaps a vote " If budget was not an issue, what would your next boat be made of ?"

Cheers

JIm

Edited by fragmeister

Budget must be considered - with no budget I would have a 40+ft cruiser and I don't believe Alloy is an option in them. But in trailer boat I personally prefer Alloy with the cheaper running costs & ability to weld any modifications & repairs.

Guest no one

Having owned both this is my personal opinion:

Glass is awesome:

It's heavy and takes more power to move, it turns slow, reacts slower, is a pain to precisely dock, is fragile, is an arse to clean at times... BUT the ride is amazing, the smoothness is beautiful and the feel when you kick your feet up on it is warm!

Alloy isn't awesome:

It's light, fast, agile, nippy, hard and will withstand anything really. But the ride is bumpy, that boing boing boing boing sound is so annoying!

If go glass over alloy anytime. But alloy is awesome...

In simpler terms, alloy is the bouncy puppy, glass is the horse... Both have their benefits, both won't suit everybody!

Guest Force3

Having owned both this is my personal opinion:

Glass is awesome:

It's heavy and takes more power to move, it turns slow, reacts slower, is a pain to precisely dock, is fragile, is an arse to clean at times... BUT the ride is amazing, the smoothness is beautiful and the feel when you kick your feet up on it is warm!

Alloy isn't awesome:

It's light, fast, agile, nippy, hard and will withstand anything really. But the ride is bumpy, that boing boing boing boing sound is so annoying!

If go glass over alloy anytime. But alloy is awesome...

In simpler terms, alloy is the bouncy puppy, glass is the horse... Both have their benefits, both won't suit everybody!

Now I'm confused.

Teflon, are you trying to help or just confuse everyone.

Guest no one

Nah, I'm basically saying I prefer Glass 100% over alloy, but alloy isn't to be looked down on as it has some great advantages over glass. I just can't stand that noise it makes!

Glass pros/cons

Pros:Nicer fit/finish,heavier,better ride overall.

Cons-requires more power,more maintenance,dearer to buy,dearer service costs,heavier to tow,heavier on fuel both in boat and when towing,requires more powerful tow vehicle,needs more water to float,can't get in the shallows as far,less easily handled solo at ramp(dependant on size/weight),easier to damage if a little careless around ramps,wharfs,etc.

Aluminium pros/cons

Pros:Cheaper to buy,less maintenance,less power needed in boat and tow vehicle,cheaper servicing,less prone to damage than glass,lighter on fuel both in boat and tow vehicle,easier handling solo at ramps,can handle shallower water,mangroves etc.

Cons-Harsher ride,less attractive than glass,colder than glass,hotter than glass( both dependant on season),bangs more than glass(noisier).

In short if doing alot of offshore work you can't beat glass.

For Inshore work

estuaries,bays,etc unpainted aluminium all the way for me.

Cheers.

I'm with you Fab1. This is not an either/or decision, it depends mostly on how you want to use the boat.

Personally I love my 5m Quintrex tinny. I can walk it in 200mm, drive it in 400mm and plane confidently in 800mm of water. I am also totally happy to take it outside Botany heads or equivalent waters in any reasonable conditions. As others have mentioned, it's also easy to modify and repair, and light on fuel.

However I do not get the ride quality I would in an equivalent glass boat, and cannot handle the more difficult conditions as well as that glass boat could. I do get the benefits I quoted above though. My boat suits my requirements perfectly, but not necessarily yours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fiberglass boats tend to have a deeper V hull shape which requires more HP, but also leads

to a softer ride. Plastic boats such as Polycraft are worth a look too. They have a ride closer

to that of fiberglass but have durability advantages as aluminium boats do.

That said all aluminium boats are not the same, eg the deeper V, flooding keel plate boats like

Bar Crusher and Surtees are a lot softer riding than a pressed tinnie.

Fiberglass boats tend to have a deeper V hull shape which requires more HP, but also leads

to a softer ride. Plastic boats such as Polycraft are worth a look too. They have a ride closer

to that of fiberglass but have durability advantages as aluminium boats do.

That said all aluminium boats are not the same, eg the deeper V, flooding keel plate boats like

Bar Crusher and Surtees are a lot softer riding than a pressed tinnie.

Exactly!

That's why I suggested plate aluminum boats to be added to the mix.

They are a very different proposition to a pressed alloy boat.

While I love my Quinnie its no Bar Crusher... in fact sometimes its a "Vertebrae Crusher"!

Cheers

JIm

Edited by fragmeister

I go out in a couple of boats mostly off shore, one FG 6metres long, the other is a 6 metre crusher, both are running 150 yammys, the crusher leaves it for dead and uses half the fuel but the owner of the glass boat wouldnt have it any other way as he prefers the ride, i think a big part of it is the type of fishing, we do a lot of drift fishing with a sea anchor , not much trolling so prefer ally but maybe with trolling glass would be more comfortable. bottom line, endless debate that will only confuse you more

in what way does the crusher leave it for dead ?

my experience is the barcrusher has a very fine entry to get a decent ride and this has some flaws when in a heavy sea and burying the nose quite deep into the wave in front at times

if you can afford the fuel for the boat and tow vehicle and want a pure offhosre boat glass is the best option

the deadrise you can get in glass boats and hull shapes are superior to the plate boat versions but you pay for it in weight and the hp needed to push that weight

i have had both alloy and fiberglass cats and the glass cat is a 70% better boat yes expence is there but so is comfort and a large amount of saftey in the glass cat

my current boat is a 5.2 viking it is just great,been in a 5 meter quinny c/con a bit down off narroma it was ok much preferre the viking for offshore work