Solid pb squid

GT137

Ended up going for a fish yesterday arvo with the mrs even though I knew the conditions weren't good. Was beginning to get an itch to get out and hit a decent gutter.

Got to our location, was little windy and white wash pretty much all up and down the beach. To my surprise there were couple fishos there already braving the conditions good on em I thought even if they were fishing in my normal spot seems to always be a good gutter in this specific spot. Yesterday was no exception, as looked like the only decent gutter on the beach.

Anyways me and the mrs decided to hav a go. We could see some kind of break in the waves just to the right of where the other guys were fishing and some deeper water.

Contemplated for a couple mins if we should or not or go somewhere else. We decided would throw a line since we were already there and had planned to catch squid just after dark if the bites on the beach weren't on anyways. Well as predicted the bite on the beach was pretty poor. Brought in my line once without bait... every other cast hardly got a touch! I put this down to the swell playing a major factor as from experience i normally only hav good beach sessions when swell isn't so high. I could be wrong but I just find the swell really effects my beach fishing experience. The mrs and I both said to each other we've fished couple hours now and nothin, few more casts and we would pack it up and try search for some squid on the way back. The other guys fishing started packing up to so don't think was just us not getting any.

Got to the squiding spot and water was little choppy due to prob the swell but mainly the slight bit of wind. Didn't look like there were too many squid hanging around, even tho for the first time we had arrived at the right time for squidding just as was getting dark.

At first saw couple little ones swimming out form under the pylons, think the choppy water may hav been putting em off the bite and weren't going for the jig. Not too long after my mrs pulled in the first squid and then I pulled in one not long after that. About 10 mins later the chop on the water eased up and the squid came onto the bite. Caught a couple jigging deeper sections but also caught a couple bigger ones that were hanging around on the surface pretty much cast in front of them and they went for it couldn't get much easier. Dropped a couple and so did the mrs but she definatley dropped the biggest one. She was brining in what she thought was weed, as she brought it up she noticed massive ink spray in the water and then it clicked to her that it was a squid that came off! She was spewing cause she realised she had it hooked somewhat but it came off. I didn't see this happen at first but I did believe her as the evidence of a missed squid catch and massive ink stain in the water clearly present. Never seen so much ink in the water from one squid! so immediately thought that must be something big for sure. So anyways not long after that she says there it is again! I then see this shape in the water coming from the deeper section of the area it looked like a sting ray I couldn't make it out, and as was getting closer could tell was swimming like a squid. Thought to myself wat the hell is that! and as it got closer to the light of my head torch the beam of the light seemed to spook it off. Damn!

I immediately got my favourite jig out that I always catch bigger squid with, it's a 2.5 glow jig, and I casted into the deeper section and just let it sink and worked it bak slowly off the bottom, really slow as slow as I could with a 2.5 jig. Second cast and real slow again. All of a sudden I feel this heavy weight on my line, thought to my self no way! split second I thought snag and than instantly after that I'm like no it's a squid and it started pulling drag like I never felt squid pull drag before! Omg! How good is it to feel a squid pull drag like that. Was so excited for the rest of the night even till now as u can probably tell. We caught about 9 squid all up but only took photos of these earlier ones, didn't even think would get more after the first few but we kept casting and kept pulling em in every now and then until it went a little quiet. We decide we had enough bait and even some more to eat for left overs. Just don't know how to cook squid so thick? ;)

Overall was good to be out fishing even if we didn't catch any fish that day, was just good to wet couple lines. The squid success at the end was a massive bonus but just good to get out of the house and away from work..

Sorry for the long post

post-13609-0-47780400-1428979675_thumb.jpg

post-13609-0-53168700-1428979689_thumb.jpg

nice squid very impressed that you had a back up plan if the beach session was no good.. most of us, myself included would just head home!!! It shows just how keen you and the Mrs are... very well deserved and congrats on a new pb!!

Regards,

Nathan

That's a great session and well done on the PB! Did you get them inside the bay?

Thanks jenno. Really dont think il get a pb close to that squid again.If inside the bay your referring to is botany bay then no mate have never fished much that way.

Nice report. Thank you. Can I ask where was it please?

Cheers hucho, all squid caught around the pittwater area

nice squid very impressed that you had a back up plan if the beach session was no good.. most of us, myself included would just head home!!! It shows just how keen you and the Mrs are... very well deserved and congrats on a new pb!!

Regards,

Nathan

Cheers bud, always got a back up plan if plan A fails :-rolleyes. Me and the Mrs love to fish and shes actually pretty good at it. Most of the time im normally the one saying lets go cause got work the next day :1onono:in a perfect world there would be no work just fishing.

That squid is enormous.

Sometimes refered to as an Aircraft Carrier.

Great catch.

Haha thanks Ryder it sure did look like some kind of space craft cruising through the water at first glance. Will be reliving this catch for a while id imagine.

Uhuh ... Your misses has got nice looking legs! Oh wait did you take that picture? :P

Haha Cheers T.C not bad legs are they? :risata:

That's one huuuuuuge squid! 34cm hood length, then what? another 16 cm to the tip of the candles? That's a half meter of prime cephalopod. It makes the others look like fingerlings. Well done on both the squid and the plan. I understand your liking for the glow jig. I've caught many (little) ones with mine. Had it for 15 years before the plastic became brittle and it left the swivel behind as it sailed of into the water. I think it;s time for a new one. I might even get a monster like yours. Congrats again.

Haha cheers GreyNurse.

Made the others look tiny that's for sure.

I'm sure there are couple big ones out there with your name on them ;)

Good luck look forward to seeing your post.

Cheers GT

Nice squid there guys.

cheers

Thanks penguin

That's HUGE!!! Lucky you caught that thing..........any bigger it could take down a pirate ship!!! :1yikes:

Your right about that cowgod, any bigger and would of pulled me right in. Was lucky to land the beast with no net too ;)