Bearing buddies

dogbox

I've just about had it with bearing buddies

I've had them fall off constantly for about three years

I've tried just about every thing to keep them on including products like lock tight

any ideas would be appreciated

Dog box

Last time I had this issue was because the hub needed replacement. I have always had bearing buddies and never had issues with them. Once I replaced the hubs, nothing ever went wrong.

On the other hand, a lot of people will argue that you don't need bearing buddies.

It might not be the bearing buddies causing the problem. It might be the wheel where they sit in is enlarged and they don't fit in there tight enough so even a normal cap will fall off. Either way, they need to go in really tight when you knock them in. If they don't then that is your problem. Bearing buddies too small or wheel part too big.

Another possible reason, although I have never seen it is excessive overheating of the wheel when travelling causing them to get loose and fall off.

I've just about had it with bearing buddies

I've had them fall off constantly for about three years

I've tried just about every thing to keep them on including products like lock tight

any ideas would be appreciated

Dog box

You indent them with a needle punch several times around their circumference - this will create raised areas which should provide enough grip to stop them falling out.

You indent them with a needle punch several times around their circumference - this will create raised areas which should provide enough grip to stop them falling out.

I do the same.

I also set and forget and wrap insulation tape around the buddy/hub to prevent water seeping in through the joint in the direction of wheel travel to prevent tape from unravelling.

My advice is start with a clean rust/burr free spindle,fit quality marine bearings/seal using good quality grease.

Then fit the bearing buddies as above and top them up with grease just until you can feel movement in the spring from side to side.

Put your caps on and tape them up until the time comes to service your bearings.

I like to test things out my self,here's what I did.

I installed bearing buddy's as normal and kept pumping grease in until something gave.

The first time the rear seal popped and grease came oozing out.

The second time the grease seal was fine but the bearing buddy popped off .

Both these tests were done in my garage on my boat.

My conclusion was that grease will find the easiest escape route when compressed and that route is straight out the rear door(rear seal)or front door(bearing buddy) when it has nowhere to go.

Cheers.

What happens to the grease after time though? When people say top up your bearings, aren't you just forcing more grease in and eventually your either gonna pop a rear seal or a bearing buddy?

Im no chemist but from my observations working on all sorts of machinery,cars,boats etc grease needs replenishing from time to time as it does become contaminated and will breakdown over time with use.

There's alot of heat,pressure,contaminants etc acting on it constantly.

So I guess the right answer for maximum protection would be replacement as often as possible.

That's why I replace my oil in my cars using conventional mineral oils at 5000k including filter instead of the common 10 to 15k using synthetics for the same reason.

Less contaminants circulating around the engine for a shorter duration of time.

Yes when people top up their buddy's they will eventually have a failure such as a poped seal or lost buddy due to the grease having no where to go.

Once you install bearings and buddy's and initially grease them they should be left alone until you dismantle the lot for service/inspection.

Alot of people are like sheep they do what others do thinking its the right thing which isn't always the case.

By experimenting and questioning ways/methods of doing things you soon learn what to continue doing and what to avoid.

I'm sure alot of you guys have your own opinions as this is just what I've found works for me and trust 100%.

Cheers.

Edited by Fab1

Thanks for all your reply's it has made me rethink where I really need bearing buddies and yes maybe excessive grease might be the problem.

When it comes to bearing maintenance it comes down to everyone's individual use of there trailer/boat. Once upon a time I used to clean replace my bearings as part of my annual maintenance schedule then this happened,

I went over to a friends house night before to pack his boat for the following days fishing trip from Sydney to Wollongong, when we checked the wheels it was lose so a closer inspection was made. the rim came off and the front rollers and retaining cage fell out in pieces on the garage floor. I reckoned the trip was off, but to my surprise being 11pm at night he reassembled regreased all despite the rust and the bearing race cracked.

we still went and the whole time I was waiting for the wheel to fall off but it never did and I never went fishing in that boat again. I recon there was some luck that day

I guess it possess a theory it comes down to how you used your boat

How often, Km travelled in a year, do you dunk your trailer in the water etc.

For me I think ill give the bearing buddies a miss and go back to the old cap and add a wheel examination every year b4 the spring season and replace them as required.

Dogbox

Edited by dogbox

bearing buddies are for people that dont want to do the regular mintance.... They do fall off once the hub starts to wear or if the bearing is over tight orloose for that matter.. if your rear sealis the right one nd not damaged and is put in correctly... you should not need a buddy.. However, you should. maintain your bearings regulary.. This includes checking and repacking them if needed even if you havent used your boat. if you use itoften you will find you will have less poblems with grease and bearings thean if you only use it once every couple of months. This is because if salt water does get in the hub, and then is left to sitit will not onlyrust the bearing which will then breakdown and allow the grease to escape. Which will cause a complete hub failure. If it is used often and possibly shorter distances the grease and bearings keep lubricated and force water out.One way tohelp this process is to check the wheel often for play and retention bearing as needed...(very quick simple job)

backto your question ,you can tighten bearing buddies with a cole chissel or a punch... from the inside of the buddieon the rimwhere it fits into the hub, give it a gentle tap with a hammer to creat a outward little bump/notch. do this at least in two opposite spots. I find 3 times is better.. then fit the buddie..it will be alot firmer toput on , but that is wat you want.