Deep drop weight substitutes

Hi guys,

I've hearinng about people using all sorts of substitutes for deep dropping. Eg. Steel reinforcing bars, window sash weights etc.

Just wondering what gauge people use for the bars and where do you get the sash weights?

Thx in advance

Yeh I tried looking for the sash weights but can't seem to find them. Pvc and concrete didn't sound that dense though.

I've heard of 24mm steel reo bars though Bunnings only seems to sell 12mm as thickest

We use sash weights and if you know a couple of builders ask them to look out for them.

I tried pvc tubes with concrete of different lengths and size but found that they are to light and if there is any current you won't get to the bottom.

The other option is to make a mould and then use lead, I've seen some good moulds on some of the deep drop sites

I use 36mm reo bar chopped down length about 400mm

It's 8kg per metre weight in that gauge

Can drill hold thru surprisingly easily and loop some heavy gauge wire or get an exhaust shop to tack weld the same wire in loop across end

So then alignment with weight falls vertical for less drag and helps reduce snagging up too

Works out about 7 bucks a sinker I think

And you will cut your hands trying to drop the sinker over side and trying to stop slow it with only 20lb breakaway.

I use 50lb line from Bigw ( cost about $3.50 for 500m )for my sinker dropper which is anywhere from 5- 15 meters depending where we are fishing. 200-300 lb main line and droppers to the hooks. I use window sash weights but im a builder so i do get them from some renovations.

Your sinker is best off being Lead as it can be smaller in size for same weight as steel. then you have less water drag meaning less weight required.

You can buy some good big tear drop sinkers, I think they are about 500g - 1500g. they are the best but are pricey espeicially if your going to fish browns. I have made sinkers for deep drop same way as you would make a snapper lead but I use empty coke cans or the skinny V cans are good. Pour lead into can with the top cut off, Have a ring of fencing wire ready to set into the top of it before lead sets.

Dave

• 2 months later...