port douglas

bookwa

Greetings all---anyone have experience with bottom bounce or light game charters in Port Douglas. Going there for a couple of weeks in July and all comments appreciated.

cheers

whoops! rephrasing--- is bottom fishing and light game charter a good idea off port douglas? If so I guess I can check with our accommodation providers for info. Done plenty of big stuff of Cairns/ Lizard but this is a + wives trip and they are keen for some gentle smooth water trips with catching a fish a bonus.

cheers again

Couple of options I guess - a charter up the local river - for usual suspects barra, jacks,fingermark or charter out to the near reefs for something a little harder pulling. Its possible tor hire those little covered pontoon type boats out and take them up the river yourself - add wine, food and fishing gear and your wives should have some fun.

Found the local tackle shop was a good starting point for getting things set up charter wise. As with any charter let them know your expectations re:tackle supplied and intended species/methods to help avoid disappointment.

Cheers Blood Knot

Had 12 days there in 2008. Fished the jetty behind the white church (St Mary' I think) Got a load of different species on squid and got some massive diamond scaled mullet on bread.

Hired a boat at the marina and went up river - the wife catching a mangrove jack and a bream,I blanked !!! There are crocs so be careful.

Also went out on a reef fishing charter and got many different species. There is a tackle shop by the marina and they should have details of the charter boats.

Also if you trawl through my fishing reports I posted a few about Port Douglas. Hope this helps.

John

Hi Snatcher,

Thanks for the input. I'll contact the tackle shop and see whats available--from the sound of things light reef fishing might be the go!

Much appreciated

cheers

Went on a lnshore reef charter a couple of years back off port Douglas. Half day, $90 a head, 6m plate boat fishing within s few km of shore. Caught a few red throat, a school mackerel, a coral trout and a heap of undersize reef fish. And a couple of bust offs. Fed the 15 people I was traveling with. Just make sure they use rods I wasted the first half hour on a heavy handline before I convinced the skipper to give me a rod to use.

Last time I was in Port Douglas the charter I booked took us out to the reefs poppering for GTs and Red Bass. Fishing wasn't great but had a blast and the guy knew his stuff. My wife got an epic Red Bass on a popper and she had a ball spinning up small Coral Trout etc. I got a sore arm from casting a popper all day!

PM me is you want the details of the charter.

Windy

The hire boats to go upriver were the pontoon type and you hired them per hour :sun: The diamond scaled mullet are well worth a go off that jetty I mentioned. Take a bait catapult with you in case you need to draw the shoal towards you. The wife got snapped off them 3 times using 15lb mono !!!! I had them to about 8lb :sun:

John

gidday bookwa just got back from port douglas last week fished public wharf near sugar wharf caught a few barra and jacks sugar wharf is good but a bit high from the water at low tide went out to the reef on a charter caught trout and nannygai plenty of charters to the reef and the inlet

gidday bookwa just got back from port douglas last week fished public wharf near sugar wharf caught a few barra and jacks sugar wharf is good but a bit high from the water at low tide went out to the reef on a charter caught trout and nannygai plenty of charters to the reef and the inlet

Did you get the Barra off the wharf?

just drop a prawn or a squid or even jiggle a soft plastic straight down and then hold on tight two weeks ago before I left a local caught a one metre barra with a prawn the jacks will try to take you back under the wharf good luck mate its paradise up there and the beers cold at the courthouse pub across the road