12-5-2015 tommorrow

Did you end up braving the wind?

Yeah we got out there, it was ok on the way out westerly behind us and we got about 2hrs of reasonable seas before it blew right up. The temp break was a little east of the 12mile 20.5 to 23 in places, great break, like rapids along the edge. Tonnes of the bait on the sounder either side of the break and all the way out. I literally mean tonnes, sounding big streams of bait almost everywhere we went.

Ended up getting 4 Dollies (barely legal), 2 biggish stripies and we dropped a few small Doilies all in the first couple of hours, got a triple hook-up on small dollies at one stage. Then we switched out to all big lures looking for bigger fish but didn’t get anything else. Around 3 it blew up from the west so I decided to slowly punch it back in, it was getting nasty.

Just inside the 12 Mile water dropped back down to 20, figuring we probably wouldn’t get any marlin in the colder water I put a small prototype lure out and picked up the smallest tuna I ever caught on a lure about 6 miles out.

I’m sure there would be marlin and probably YFT along that temp break somewhere, plenty of other fish there to keep it interesting even if you don’t come across any big ones. Pretty sure we could have got a lot more dollies and tuna if we kept the smaller lures out.

Dollies we got had whole pillies and squid inside their guts. Red and black lure chain with squid inside got most of our fish.

All good, hopefully the weather eases for the weekend and that temp break stays in close.

post-22587-0-54737200-1431522865_thumb.jpg

post-22587-0-89022500-1431522868_thumb.jpg

post-22587-0-09877300-1431522873_thumb.jpg

post-22587-0-01260000-1431523079_thumb.jpg

Edited by Scent Blazer Lures

Guest no one

Yeah I know, the small ones are harder to catch :)

We once skull dragged a dolly that size for about 1km because it wasn't strong enough to click the drag over and we weren't watching the rods. Poor thing, came in pretty much dead... Swam away though!

I find the smaller lures work better for the smaller fish pete.

yeah for sure, that's the smallest lure we ran for a long time, I like catching small fish on big lures, it proves they are buying the lures as bait

We once skull dragged a dolly that size for about 1km because it wasn't strong enough to click the drag over and we weren't watching the rods. Poor thing, came in pretty much dead... Swam away though!

yeah we've done the same thing, drags are set for marlin and we end up dragging around small dollies for god knows how long before we spot them on the surface, poor little guys usually have their eyes popping out by the time we bring them in. Good instant marlin bait when that happens :)

Edited by Scent Blazer Lures