Battery switch

garfield28

Do the battery switches ever become faulty - and if so is there a way to test it?*

I have installed a second battery and connected the wiring to to the switch. I tested the wiring turning on my anchor light via the switch panel and it works. The problem I have but, is when I switch the battery to number 1 which is meant to be the start battery only the light was still on so it obviously is still being fed power by battery 1 and I don't know how.*

I hope this makes sense... *I have attached a pic of the wiring.*

Any advice appreciated.*

Thanks*

Geoff

post-32204-0-54856800-1431747813_thumb.jpg

post-32204-0-47407700-1431747912_thumb.jpg

antonywardle is correct there should be no earth to that switch.

To the best of my knowledge that switch is not the one for the job you are doing. that will only select one battery or the other or both when selected. in saying that the switch is fine its all Ive ever used I have never had a separate battery for starting.

Any think that does require constant power (usually sound systems for there station memory) I connect directly to one of the batteries

I start with both batteries (unless I know I have a week one) then while travelling have the switch turned to both this gives both batteries a good charge then flick to one battery while stopped keeping the other battery for starting incase we do drain one while sitting

Brett

I'm pretty sure that the switch is ok for doing both

if you turn it over its got the 1 -2 off both options on it

I have the same one.

I can't remember what the field options do. Maybe power when the engine is running?

Edit

sorry I reread it. That switch is for starting and charging. Nothing to do with the electrics

for the rest of the boat. They will continue to run because they are connected to

you auxillry battery. Did you put a circuit breaker in? If so, trip it and your lights will go out

cheers

Edited by antonywardle

I have the lead from my start battery going to number 1 and the second battery going to number 2 on the terminal marked feed I have the lead that goes to my outboard and also my lead that supplies power to the electronics

Ok makes sense. With those switches they only switch what battery is powering anything connected to the feed terminal. To do what you want you would probably have to have two separate switches and separate the cables feeding your accessories and the motor. But you wouldn't do it. Just do as oz_brett said above.

Yeah looking at the wiring diagram of the same type of switch of a different brand (attached) I think with the switch I have the feed terminal will always be live depending on which battery I select. So I think I either get a dual circuit type switch so I have 2 different feed terminals of I keep what I have and just make sure I select the correct battery for use when I'm on the water, because hopefully If I select number 2 while sitting idle on the water to run my electronics, I shouldn't be using any charge what so ever from battery 1...... sound about right you think?

post-32204-0-15310100-1431900773_thumb.jpg