Panama, yellowfin, poppers

batfishing

Hi Guys.

Just returned from a blast of a holiday. We did 6 days in Cuba, just experiencing the place, and around 9 days all up in Panama, which including 6 Solid days of fishing, and an afternoon of sedate fishing fishing for Peacock Bass on the Panama Canal.

The trip had an unfortunate pre-start, I received a call from the nursing home I had Dad in on the Monday morning to say it didn't look good, so I was down at Jervis Bay that afternoon. He left us on Wednesday Morning, Thursday night I was trying to pack for an early morning Friday flight.

The fishing......I will purposefully avoid lodge names etc, should anyone want that info please pm.

The Monday, we experienced what 6 days was to be about, a 2 hour run to Montousa Island, Hanibal Banks. At least we knew now why Bean Bags are provided on the boats! And I might add that 2 hour morning sleep and afternoon siesta quickly became a favoured part of the day.

We quickly became adept at rigging the 4 hook bonito jigs, and stocking the Tuna Tubes with live bonito. The first day other than sore shoulders from 4 hours of solid popping, we lucked out.

Water temp around 30c, we saw one day of 32c which just shut the fishing down completely.

We had a group of 5 of us, so had shirts made up here in oz prior to departure. We came up with the group name of AUSSAFIN. Due to 3 of us being from Australia, 1 from South Africa, and 1 from Finland.

Now the 2nd day, typical Panama, hot, deep blue sea, no wind.

Around lunch time we hit Hannibal Banks, we had only just arrived when Skipper Eric is yelling out in Spanish English, popper popper popper.

Lars and I ran to the bow of the boat grabbed the popper outfits we had set up and just grinned at each other.

We were looking at a scene from a David Atenborough Doco. There was a log, well a tree, floating on the surface, with birds, Albatross, Terns, etc standing on it going nuts, picking fish off the surface, and underneath it, yellowfin exploding.

Lars cast first, and landed his popper to the right of the log and yelled I'm on! My popper hit the log a 2nd later, I flipped the bail arm, and flicked the rod tip to clear the popper off the log. My eyes nearly fell out as I watched a missile devour my popper.

Both of us just loaded up the rods, started yelling at each other like kids and high fived. Then settled in for the fight. About the same time we heard yelling from the stern of the boat as a live bait was swallowed.

So 3 fish on.

At about 20 mins in, with the fish straight down, and my arms and back feeling it, I said a silent prayer.....Dad if we land this one it's yours.

I don't know how the fight lasted, I didn't time it, but when the fish hit the deck, I sat back, looked up and yelled, I told you it was yours Dad, thanks.

Somehow I regained energy 10 minutes later to repeat it at another log, this time on a smaller fish, that was despatched in 10 minutes.

In around 2 1/2 hours we had 7 fish on with 3 landed.

The week was fantastic, but that was just an outstanding day.

Hope you enjoy the pics, and Stewy, have I got the rod grip positions right for the photo!post-9465-14320250358205_thumb.jpgpost-9465-14320251265801_thumb.jpgpost-9465-14320251783038_thumb.jpgpost-9465-14320252293682_thumb.jpgpost-9465-1432025253847_thumb.jpgpost-9465-14320252933653_thumb.jpgpost-9465-14320253640758_thumb.jpgpost-9465-14320254129388_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The difference between a tuna on a 50W in the chair and a spin stick is incredible.

Guys thanks for all your thoughts, Dad was 88, it had been coming for a while. My daughter and I had been done on the Sunday and taken he and Mum out for lunch, Dad demolished his favourite, a seafood plate at Husky Pub.

I was back down on the Monday and spent the last 3 days by his side.

Actually have his service this Friday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD