Freshwater Shrimp and Yabby Help

FishingGuy

Hey Raiders,

I was wondering if any of you guys have ever caught freshwater Shrimp. If so I was just looking for some tips on what to use to catch them; baits, traps, etc. Also a general area where there might be some.

Also a question on Yabbies. Are there any spots around Blacktown which might have them?? Unfortunately I'm only 15 so I am limited to a bike through the week. All info is appreciated and thanks in advance.

Cheers,

FishingGuy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For catching shrimp, we always used a 375m tin can with some holes punched in it everywhere and a couple to tie some rope to. Then we would get some soap and "smokey" up the water and put the soap in the bottom of the can. Have no idea why it worked but it did. Usually found them in any slow moving water.

J

the soap is white sunlight soap i think it has fat in it

you can use a yabby trap for shrimp or a bucket with weight in it and reeds in it to stop the shrimp jumping out when you lift in out off the water

as for yabbys the quickest way to catch them is 5 hand lines around a dam

you get a stick tye 2 meters off line to it and stick it in the bank at water level for bait liver,kidney,heart work well you don't need a hook

throw the bait out and leave a small sag in the line

now the hard bit when you see the line going tight you have a yabby slowly pull it in and when he is close put a prawning scoop net behind him keep slowly pulling the line in they let go and swim straight into the net

5 lines will keep one person busy and you should have your bait and a good feed in 2 hours cheers gary