LED Trailer indicator problem

JimT

Have just replaced regular lights with LEDS on trailer. Have also rewired/newplug trailer and new socket/trimmed wiring on 80 Series L/cruiser. Initially test fitted on Camry and all lights operating correctly.....but on L/Cruiser all but indicators working correctly....indicators very dull, however, once engine is switched on all good. So it seems that voltage is too low when engine off to run indicators....could it have something to do with excess voltage drop through flasher can? any help would be good.

Thanks Jim

I presume the lights on the land cruiser itself are working correctly?

If so, check the wiring on the L/C trailer plug, and connections to the L/C wiring.

The LEDs will run down to 9V without an issue, so would not suspect a voltage drop

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

every is fine when plugged into Camry.......all but indicators are fine on Landcruiser with motor off, once motor is started , indicators are fine as well........all lights on vehicles are fine as well

Edited by jot

I had a slightly similer problem with my lights. The right hand indicator would

work on some cars and not others.

Turns out that for me, the problem was the female plug on my car was slightly

too far open. After I closed it a little, it was all good.

Yours might be the negative/earth

Edited by antonywardle

Well obviously is the landcruiser. Follow the wires from the plug on the Landcruiser and see where it meets the wiring loom of the car. A wire there might be loose. I got mine done professionally and got similar problem like you. One of the wires was loose. These guys don't solder the wires, they just strip them and join them or use some crappy connectors.

Well obviously is the landcruiser. Follow the wires from the plug on the Landcruiser and see where it meets the wiring loom of the car. A wire there might be loose. I got mine done professionally and got similar problem like you. One of the wires was loose. These guys don't solder the wires, they just strip them and join them or use some crappy connectors.

to-days project :(

you need to upgrade your flasher can/relay to a LED relay/flasher. without this they can also flash faster

You only need to do this if you replace the rear lights on the vehicle, as when you remove the rear lights on the vehicle and replace with LEDs, it reduces the Wattage Load on the flasher can. Old style flasher cans measured resistance, a drop in resistance means a globe had blown, hence the flashers flash quicker to advise the driver that a globe has blown.

Trailer lights do not affect this.

Also if replacing rear lights to LED, common on trucks, tray tops etc, you should purchase a pair of load resistors for the indicator system and wire in at the same Tim you connect the new LED lights, quicker and cheaper than a new flasher can.

And on the shelf at Roadrunner.

Trailer lights alone do NOT affect this, as you are placing extra load on the vehicle circuit not less

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Give us an update :)

being a replacement Kaymar rear bar the loom runs thru the box section.....looks like need to remove whole bar to get access to loom......ain't going to happen....might have to "create" a new loom from the vehicles rear lights :(

Jim

• 3 weeks later...