Sydney Harbour -Friday 5th June

fragmeister

Headed out to the harbour with about 2 and half hours sleep under my belt.

Got 10 yakkas in less than 20 minutes (they we're ravenous) and a couple of small squid so that left me with about an hour before daybreak so I headed out between the heads to check out the wind and swell. The swell was predicted at 1.5 m and the wind at 10 knots. Well the swell was about right but the wind from the nor west was 20 knots and the resulting wind chill factor meant I didn't warm up until after midday.

I didn't fancy the trip to Long Reef in the chop as I had forgotten the Clears an I didn't want to be wet and cold so I decided to fish sow & pigs on the run in tide. There was plent of trevaly around the 35cm mark but not much else. I had a few rat kings come up in the burley trail so I decided to down rig a whole squid around the usual markers. Nothing on the sounder and the baits were untouched.

Hear reports on the marine radio of snapper caught on the drift an long reef and I did cast at some salmon boils on the stretch between Bradley's head and Cremorne Point.

It was good to get out but the conditions were not good and the fishing was pretty slow. Water temperature in the harbour was 18.5 , high tide was at 10:04 and 1.4 meters .... Not a good tide really.

Cheers

Him

At least there was something about Jim.

When the smaller kings are swimming in the burley trail, sometimes you can get a hit from them by using a small bait on a small hook on lighter line, and feeding it down into the burley trail. When they feel the hook, they will usually spit out the bait, but the idea is to watch your bait sink in amongst the burley (can be a bit hard with all the burley and a wind chop) and when a kingie grabs hold of the bait, strike immediately and away you go.

Hooking a kingie on light line with only a couple of metres of line out can be a bit of excitement, as they power off very quickly :074: Even more fun on the yellowtail handline !!!

At least there was something about Jim.

When the smaller kings are swimming in the burley trail, sometimes you can get a hit from them by using a small bait on a small hook on lighter line, and feeding it down into the burley trail. When they feel the hook, they will usually spit out the bait, but the idea is to watch your bait sink in amongst the burley (can be a bit hard with all the burley and a wind chop) and when a kingie grabs hold of the bait, strike immediately and away you go.

Hooking a kingie on light line with only a couple of metres of line out can be a bit of excitement, as they power off very quickly :074: Even more fun on the yellowtail handline !!!

Yep!

Did exactly that on a fly line a couple of times this year but I couldn't bring myself to post a claim my fist Kingie on fly. Feels a bit like cheating

Rats on a yakka handline ... I think I remember you posting that last year. Good effort I reckon.

Cheers

Yep!

Did exactly that on a fly line a couple of times this year but I couldn't bring myself to post a claim my fist Kingie on fly. Feels a bit like cheating

Rats on a yakka handline ... I think I remember you posting that last year. Good effort I reckon.

Cheers

If you are smart enough to hook a kingie that way on a fly, that is good enough to make a claim as a first.

I posted one earlier this year on the yakka handline, but had a few bust offs before success.

If you are smart enough to hook a kingie that way on a fly, that is good enough to make a claim as a first.

I posted one earlier this year on the yakka handline, but had a few bust offs before success.

Ok mate!

On your recommendation I'll claim it!

I guess its true to say that the professional guides often get the fish worked up first on bait or lures before they cast flies at them.

Cheers

Jim