The Peak Sunday

saltrix

The plan was to get some live bait a Clontarf, then head out to the Peak armed with live bait and new jigs of various weights.

As a back up if there were no Kingfish then to fish the bottom where in the past I have had good catches of pinkies.

Another fall back was the 50-60m sand drift for flathead.

We got an early start and although there was a bit of chop the sea was pretty flat.

post-3961-0-76379300-1433670993_thumb.jpg

There was not a yellowtail to be seen at Clontarf or Dobryod Point despite heaps of berley so we set off without the live bait.

At the Peak there did not seem to be much action and there was a roaring current that made it difficult to hold bottom, certainly anchoring was out of the question.

After a few drifts that produced a medium red, a nice pinkie, and a Barracuda, followed by several losses of hooks to jackets we decided to try plan B.

Unfortunately the current was still pretty fast at 60m although I got a mowie before we lost bottom.

Fishing closer in just wasted bait as small flathead hammered the bait as soon as it hit the bottom.

Finished with enough for tea, but it was an effort.

post-3961-0-33822300-1433671805_thumb.jpg

Wrasse are excellent eating, nice white firm flesh, but bones around the rib cage. They have to be a good size though, and I also throw most back if I have a lot of fish,but bringing them up from 60m usually kills them so I dont like to waste them.