Middle Harbour - Massive Ray

kiwibrown

Hi,

Just over a week ago i had a quick try at one of my favourite spots in middle harbour. Managed two trevally and two flathead which was good fun. Constant bites. As i cast out a running rig with half a pilchard i was watching the line run off my reel as it sank....but it kept going. I flipped the bail over and felt some really good weight. Fought it for a while but bust off right at the hook so must have been toothy (big tailor?).

Anyway, aside from the surprisingly good bite for this time of year from the shore the highlight was definitely a massive ray that came right up to the rocks. By far the biggest i have seen (i reckon bigger that the one at the marine place near Port Stephens for those who have seen it). This thing was huge, managed a few photos on my phone. These two are the best:

post-31566-0-48057000-1433884846_thumb.jpg

post-31566-0-51769300-1433884860_thumb.jpg

You see the big ones at Murfays boat ramp all the time at Jervis. Never forget my friend, was dropping him off at the ramp and he was just jumping off the back when he saw the ray under the boat, he ended up doing a superman dive in shallow water to avoid landing on the ray haha! Was so funny to watch!

Its hard to Judge Scratchie, i fed that one in Port Stephens with the old prawn on a stick up close and this one looked equally as massive. I was shaking just taking photos of it, the size blew me away. Not sure if you get a perception from those photos but you can see the size of its eye on the second.

Do they scare the crap out of anyone else or is it just me? The are amazing to admire but i'm always paranoid about stepping on one when wading the flats and feel a bit uneasy when some bigger ones swim my way. With that said i've fed the one in port stephens too and she's a monster

Do they scare the crap out of anyone else or is it just me? The are amazing to admire but i'm always paranoid about stepping on one when wading the flats and feel a bit uneasy when some bigger ones swim my way. With that said i've fed the one in port stephens too and she's a monster

I often worry about the same thing. I used to wade the flats at Rose Bay until I heard about people on this forum getting hit by sting and numb rays. I was wondering if having a set of waders might offer some sort of protection against them?

yip scary critters. i have stood on 3 or 4 on the sand at cremorne point. not sure what sort but one gave me a jolt which i now know is a numb ray thanks to you guys on here.Its actually put me off wading slightly and if i do i,m really careful to look at the sand on each step.

A little tip I learned from a mate's experience of stepping on a numb ray. Learn to shuffle instead of step when wading. That way, you'll spook the ray before you actually contact it. It worked for me when pumping nippers one day down at Port Hacking.

If you're worried about stubbing your toe on a submerged rock, wear a pair of old Dunlop Volleys. You know, the ones that have more holes than canvas on the uppers. That way, the wife will also love you when she finally finds that they have disappeared from the wardrobe after she's told you a dozen times to throw them in the bin.