Flathead and reds at DY wide

saltrix

Left Tunks just on daybreak with the plan to try trolling around Dobroid and Nth Head to pick up a bit of fish bait before heading to DY wide.

There was a nice sunrise and fairly flat harbour.

post-3961-0-40898600-1434274034_thumb.jpg

No strikes at either Dobroid or Nth Head so continued out. The westerly picked up as we went out further and it became quite jickerly.

There were a lot of undersized spikey flathead and undersized reds but I managed 5 good sized flathead and a 33cm red.

post-3961-0-26308900-1434274880_thumb.jpg

There were a lot of albertross around as the cuttlefish die off around this time after laying their eggs and float to the surface

and the albertross congregate in large numbers to feed on them. We saw a couple of cuttle floating and were followed by 5 albertross who thought they could get a better feed from us.

post-3961-0-46461100-1434274786_thumb.jpg

We came in about lunch time when the westerly died off a bit.

It is a sweep, they are one of the best eating fish in my opinion once they get over 30cm. I fillet and skin them and then bone the fillet, and they are a firm white flesh much better than snapper, but maybe not as good as flathead but can be caught consistently.

Mate I think sweep are ok too, meat not as tasty as trevally but you could catch unlimited amounts, there everywhere

Do a ceviche out of them, pretty nice

Edited by Day go