Iron Cove 20/06/15

adamski

Hey folks,

Yesterday I met Gianni (thefisherman6784) for a flick around Iron Cove. Hope he doesn't mind me starting this report, then maybe he can add a few pics and extra info.

We started off early and met a few of his younger pals and their dad at the mouth of one of the canals, before moving round to fish the bay. At first it was quite slow going, then gradually as the sun came up and the tide moved in, the bite came on.

First up, we all managed a few little flatties- mostly around legal or just under.

post-33473-0-22419100-1434873553_thumb.jpgpost-33473-0-36964600-1434873587_thumb.jpg

Then Gianni and his pals, who'd moved on ahead, started targeting a school of salmon that had moved into the bay. I think they had some luck and maybe a pic or two will be forthcoming (slowcoach here was too late to the party!)

Moving back round and retracing our steps, we stopped at the other side of another canal, where I was quickly onto a little bream, then another little flattie on the next cast. Gianni had a nice bream in his first couple of casts too.

post-33473-0-00034900-1434873715_thumb.jpg

The boys then moved on ahead back round to our starting spot. I stayed back a bit for a few more flicks. A few casts in and I lift and feel some weight, big shakes, but not a huge amount of fight. I wondered what was up til I realised the thing was swimming towards me. I caught sight of a nice big head, got the net ready, then the fish turned and went on a run. Eventually after a bit of back and forth (mostly with me with my heart in my mouth at the state of my 6lb leader) I got her into the net. 67 cm on the mat and a new PB for me, my first decent flattie! Unfortunately, on a bad note, she ended up on her back in the net and scratched off a load of scales. Made me realise I really need to get an enviro net and some lip grips. On the plus side, after a bit of reviving, she seemed to swim away okay.

post-33473-0-73744800-1434873676_thumb.jpgpost-33473-0-69259800-1434873630_thumb.jpg

After catching up with the boys and saying bye to Gianni's mates, we headed round towards Drummoyne. Gianni went on ahead to target bigger fish with his jewie gear and I had a flick. We caught heaps of flathead, literally one every second cast or so, I think he managed a trev too, then I hear a shout from further down. Gianni's onto something big! We both tried to call it- maybe a kingie or a jewie by the way it was fighting. Eventually at the surface we saw- a very nice sized salmon!

post-33473-0-55612200-1434873735_thumb.jpg

Both of us then got busted off by a couple of bigger fish and continued to catch a load of little flatties before we called it a day mid afternoon.

It was a fun, eventful day and,the flathead looked very healthy for west of the bridge All of my fish came on a Zman Grubz in motoroil colour.

Thanks for reading,

Adam

That sounds like a good session.

67cm flattie from there is fantastic. Congrats on the PB.

The young guys re-write the rules, especially in the where to fish category.

And they just walk, and walk.

I have been once, and wanted to get the car when I knew next the destination.

Well Done

Thanks guys! It was a good day and the weather played ball in the morning.

That sounds like a good session.
67cm flattie from there is fantastic. Congrats on the PB.
The young guys re-write the rules, especially in the where to fish category.
And they just walk, and walk.
I have been once, and wanted to get the car when I knew next the destination.
Well Done

Hahaha! Yeah, I know what you mean- I think I got my exercise for the month in that one session ;) You can see why they get so many fish though- they cover so much ground!

Hears my little report guys

Headed there Friday after school and pulled a few nice fish on the Jewwy tackle, 2 flatties and a nice tailor

post-33634-14348798312467_thumb.jpg

Then on Saturday, met up with Adam and Jordan, got a few nice fish including nice bream and flatties

post-33634-14348798805431_thumb.jpg

post-33634-14348799036135_thumb.jpg

Then Jordan got his nice salmon 63cm on a sugapen!

post-33634-14348799543444_thumb.jpg

post-33634-1434880274842_thumb.jpg

Then me and Adam moved on, Adam stopped at a wharf and I kept walking a bit and landed a nice Trev at about 40cm

post-33634-14348800242243_thumb.jpg

Then the next cast, feel a solid tick, strike and on with some really good weight, big head shakes followed by a decent run and more big headshakes, then the hooks pulled [emoji30] that I think was a Jew but not 100%

Then got that good salmon

post-33634-1434880237141_thumb.jpg

Kept casting for heaps of flatties and a few good ones shredding our line off unfortunately, but moved on and got a few more, then Adam left and I got this nice tailor

post-33634-14348802111132_thumb.jpg

Then got an interesting by-catch of a nice flounder! post-33634-14348803280299_thumb.jpg

Then kept casting away in hope of that dream jewwie, fishing from 6 in the morning till 6 at night, so a long day for me with a jewwie in mind but no jew unfortunately

But a nice sunset for the arvo!

post-33634-14348804148624_thumb.jpg

Then went AGAIN today in the rain with my mate Irvin

We got a few nice flatties and whiting on blades

post-33634-14348804669252_thumb.jpg

I kept flicking away in hope of a Jew but again, no Jewwy

Soon my long days of persistence will pay off!!

So a very long weeknd for me but a good one to

Poor Seamus missed his whole weekend for fishing cause he is very sick

Get better soon dude

Cheers Gianni

Nice session! I've been hitting the iron cove over the least month in the yak, pulling in nice bream and flatties. Good area and very few people keep their catch because of the pollution, so the fish are good size. Glad to see the Sambo are starting to run in, I'll be back there asap!