always check your safety gear!

SquidMarks

I was out at osborne shoal the weekend before (along with about half a dozen other boats who saw the glassy conditions as an oppurtunity to have a go) when maritime started pulling up alongside the boats one by one after coming up from merries reef and presumably checking the boats there.

Afterwards, some boats packed it in and moved and then it came to my turn. Maritime approached and asked "do you realise you are technically offshore at the moment?".

I replied "yes".

"Great" said Mr Maritime, "can you please take your flares out and read me the expiry date".

I grabbed my waterproof fluoro orange plano safety box and proceeded to read out the expiry "october 2016".

"Excellent, can you please show me your v sheet"?

I pull that out as well, in anticipation i also pull out the epirb and mention that the life jackets are at the front of the boat.

Mr Maritime then asks "do you have a fire extinguisher?"

"Yes, but its in the glovebox of the boat, 2 secs".

He stops me and calls out "dont worry about it, you seem to know what your doing".

Now this seemed like an odd statemen5 so i asked him "why, whats it been like this morning?"

He replies "put it this way, your the first person today to have your flares within the expiry date"....

Wow... Fishraiders, PLEASE check your flares fo4 their expiry (they have 2 year shelf life). You dont want to be without them when something goes wrong.

This is acter i towed back a boat from jibbon bombora to st georges marina last summer. I told them they should probably put on some lifejackets as its mandatory to wear them when being towed... that request was completely ignored. Then, when towed to the marina i netioned that i will release then about 2-3 meters from the marina and head off only to get the reply "can you get us to the warf?" I replied "its hard to tow someone to the warf, just use your oar/oars to get there". Guess what the reply was for that......

Please boaties and fishos, enjoy the great outdoors but dont save yourself 50 bucks by skimping on essential safety equipment!!!

Guest no one

I bought a boat last year with flares which came with it... the flares were 17 years past their expiry! 17 years!!! Needless to say I bought new ones!

Did you have the water?

Water (suitable for drinking)

2L per person

I got "visited" when out south of the heads: We were both wearing Life Vests. They checked my License Number, and just asked me stuff. I replied yes to all ( in fact I did have all )

When they were about to leave I said: "And I have the water too".

But it's too easy to forget about the Flares.

Maritime have been hanging around local ramps in the Shire lately asking if you have all the gear. They havent been there to hand out fines just give advice and see if everyone had all the right gear.

I thought i had everything but turns out not. I had taken the torch out due to a flat battery and forgot to put it back (apparently you need it in the daytime).

I had no sticker indicating where the lifejackets are. Although he did say that given it is a 4.1 poly I probably wouldnt get booked for that.

The one i found odd, but probably should have known, is the maritime sticker i need that tells you how many people I can have in the boat.

What i need to do is check the manufacturers plate for how many can be in the boat, put that number on the official sticker and then place the sticker directly in the line of site of the skipper. This happens to be right next to the manufacturers plate.

The maritime bloke was handing out kits to everyone that contained all the appropriate stickers and the safe boating handbook.

So they are on a bit of safety drive.

Dave

Maritime have been hanging around local ramps in the Shire lately asking if you have all the gear. They havent been there to hand out fines just give advice and see if everyone had all the right gear.

I thought i had everything but turns out not. I had taken the torch out due to a flat battery and forgot to put it back (apparently you need it in the daytime).

I had no sticker indicating where the lifejackets are. Although he did say that given it is a 4.1 poly I probably wouldnt get booked for that.

The one i found odd, but probably should have known, is the maritime sticker i need that tells you how many people I can have in the boat.

What i need to do is check the manufacturers plate for how many can be in the boat, put that number on the official sticker and then place the sticker directly in the line of site of the skipper. This happens to be right next to the manufacturers plate.

The maritime bloke was handing out kits to everyone that contained all the appropriate stickers and the safe boating handbook.

So they are on a bit of safety drive.

Dave

I had not heard about a sticker indicating where the lifejackets are.

I always tell people where they are and to get out of the way if we need them as I am first.

norm

Did you have the water?

Water (suitable for drinking)

2L per person

I got "visited" when out south of the heads: We were both wearing Life Vests. They checked my License Number, and just asked me stuff. I replied yes to all ( in fact I did have all )

When they were about to leave I said: "And I have the water too".

But it's too easy to forget about the Flares.

Always have water (6L) stashed in the bow section of the boat on me and then just bring regular water to drink on the day as well. The 6L gets swapped after a couple of months (its probably still ok to drink in a life and death situation but i like having it fresh) :)

Also, dont forget hardcopies of maps in the area you are in!

Guest no one

I bought a slab of 24 600ml bottles when it was on sale for $8, never gets opened all still sealed, just sits up the front, so I have 14 Ltrs on my boat minimum at all times.

I got a visit at the boat ramp on my maiden trip 12 months ago. Really nice guy ( lots of piercings) he said I'm just here to help you make sure your covered. Was happy with everything he saw and gave me loads of stickers.

Great service in my opinion.

I've also been pulled in bate Bay a few times for the flare check.

But it's a good reminder to check dates. Especially 12 month life jacket service which needs writing inside the cover.

Gent what is considered offshore. Example fishing down south at bellambi, do I need all the offshore safety equipment or does the 3nm rule apply?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Anything outside the heads is considered offshore. 2nm out and gps required. Current boat rules from maritime at port Kembla lists it all. I heard there are some good spots of Sandon. Let me know please as I'm planning on some trips down here once it warms up. Ric.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jayd the term maritime use is enclosed waters and open waters. Open waters is outside the heads but closer in some places like Sydney harbour. Check out the maritime website for changes if it's been a while since you got your boat licence

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/maritime/safety-rules/safety-equipment-table-checklist.pdf

It's only epirb and radio that take effect 2nm

Edited by NaClH2OK9

Thanks, recently upgraded the boat and only fished enclosed waters before, but seeing the thread I though to confirm. Might as well load her up and be safe, rather be safe then sorry!

Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

NaClH2OK9 is spot on, don't make the assumption that open waters are only outside the heads of a bay, sometimes the open water boundaries are quite different (anc can be inside the heads, as i believe they are for sydney harbor). Thanks to good old bureaucracy, department mergers and other 'efficiency' measures, all this info seems to have been lost, but there used to be maps available showing a clear line/boundary at each of our ports and harbors as to which areas constituted being in enclosed or open waters.

OK, after a bit of searching, i have found the pdf versions of maps which describe the open waters limit.

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/maritime/using-waterways/maps/boating-maps.html

click on the relevant map and the info will come up.

So for Sydney harbor, as you can see from the above maps, if your at old mans hat, you are in open waters and if you basicaly go past bear island in botany bay, you are in open waters. so just be careful and dont get caught off guard without essential safety equipment!

Jayd, i just bought about 8 maps at kemba office and it was well worth having a chat with them. They have all the maps, stickers and info you could need. Take te d r ive diwn if oyr in the area. I used to fish the sea board side of bear islnd without all the gear that the new regs require. I have to go shopping also .

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk