Anchors

Curly88

Hi raiders

Looking to upgrade my anchor and just wondering what are some good anchors you guys use. Been looking at the sarca anchors they sound good but wondering if there are less expensive ones out there that do a good job.

Boat is a 6.8m alloy

Thanks curly

I guess it depends on the bottom you are anchoring to.

I have a medium sized sand anchor (blue line) from a boating store and it holds me in Brisbane Water fine.

Mine is a 5metreFG so it might be a little heavier than yours.

Rule of thumb is the chain length should be at least the same length as

the boat. Not sure how big the links need to be though

I was looking for a all round anchor that does sand and reef. Currently run about about 5m of chain at 6mm links that come off the old boat. I can add a extra couple of metres but current anchor just doesn't holds that well when the current is running.

Hi Curly,

I have a 6m ali half cab boat and use 6m off 8mm short link chain and 12mm rope. For the past 9 years I have owned 3 sarca anchors and they hold REALLY well, hence owning 3! Fantastic in the sand and up the river at night. I fish a lot in rocky/reef areas and have had two occasions where the sarca just wouldn't let go. Ended up having to cut the rope to get home and that gets a bit expensive. Recently I have changed over to a 4 prong reef anchor and this has been working great in the reef. But if I'm going up the river for a jew session, I'll change back to the sarca. I think this is the best compromise. I don't think you will have a drama with 5m off 6mm chain. The sarca's are great but a bit expensive over time as they will eventually get stuck. It's just murphy's law. Hope this helps..........

Dave

Dave Is on the money.

Reef anchor for reef. Sand anchor for sand. Join with a good quality D for quick change over. I keep both anchors in the well. Both are very basic anchors ( Nothing Expensive ) Its more about your chain length. You need the Chain to hold the rop down so that the weight of your boat or load on the rope is pullig along the seabed not straight up. Make Sense? More chain anyway. Very rare drag anchor

Dave

Having carried both reef and sand anchors for years, with my new boat I opted for a Sarca, along with a power winch.....best decision I ever made. I have had it severely lodged in reef on occasions but have always been able to get it back out by going the opposite direction that it went in. And yes, the boat length of chain is imperative.

Edited by Twinfisher 4.9

Hi Harold, just confirming that in say 30m of water, you would have 90m of chain out? Or are you saying 90m of line plus a length of chain or you are using only chain for your complete anchor line? Us guys in smaller vessels use only a limited length of chain. Steve

3:1 is insufficient in most if not all applications. For the anchor and chain to work effectively and trouble free you want minimum 5:1 for calm to reasonable conditions and the sky is the limit for rough conditions, let as much out as you have to hold.

Ok guys. 3:1 length: depth ratio, win a higher ratio suggested, but how many actually have their role marked off so the length indicated. I'd suggest that excluding the auto winch guys who can dial out the length most of us small boat guys guess how much is actually plied out. Having read this post thread I'll be marking the anchor line that came with my boat to see how little rope I actually have Le alone chain length. Ric.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spend that little bit extra and go with the Sarca. After owning different anchors some which didn't hold good in a strong current I ended up buying a Sarca for my old little glass boat and the holding power really surprised me and good decision I ever made. So when I brought the new boat first thing I did was buy was Sarca anchor. But although it says u can use on a reef, there no way I'm going to use it on a reef, already have that experience losing a anchor to a reef, so I've got a reef anchor for reef, with a good quality D for quick change over.

I'm pretty sure also my chain on the anchor is not 5:1 that's most likely why the other anchors didn't hold to well, but with the Sarca it held.

post-15062-0-04422400-1435927529_thumb.jpg

Edited by General Zod

• 1 month later...

I dropped off about 3 metres of chain, that left about 1 metre and put sheet lead on the sand anchor to give it weight, made a reef anchor with 40mm od water pipe inserted 35mm solid steel bar ( $32/metre ), 300mm for weight, and have not a problem, you can have a large anchor but without weight it is useless you have to drag to set it.

Fixed the problem of using a large anchor.

Morwong,

I was going to try out square or arrow pieces on the ends of the reef pick, I have in the past carried 2 anchors but now I usually pick either outside or river I am trying to make a small universal anchor.