SPs port hacking

jtp

Hi all,

Had a day off work. Decided to change things up a bit and get some exercise while doing some landbased fishing instead of taking out the boat or yak. Managed to wake up at 430AM for once and fish sunrise. I was aiming for some flatties off the bonnievale/maianbar stretch. Was using prawn squidgy, zman grub and a metal spinner. Managed to catch a flatty on each. Alas, all three were undersize. Just when I was losing hope, something bigger with more fight takes the zman grub and goes for a little run. With no snags in the vicinity I was not worried. Ended up being a 52cm sambo, which was fun on 6lb. I actually went a couple weeks ago for a beach session at Garie targeting soem salmon but came up donuts; so it was good to make up for it today.

Cheers,

Joe

post-11038-0-51557300-1435118192_thumb.jpg

post-11038-0-30652700-1435118408_thumb.jpg

post-11038-0-70866600-1435118424_thumb.jpg

Great fish.....and great to see the salmon turning up. The salmon eaters v non-eaters debates will start up now!

I usually salt, marinade with something like sambal sauce and dry them to get a jerky consistency which goes well with rice. Occasionally steam them as well and don't have a problem with taste. May be it's just me.

Smoke um. Salt, brown sugar, 15 mins in a smoker, two slabs of fresh crusty bread, lashings of butter. Awesome.

If you smoke more than one makes for a great fish pie.

Great catch for an early start.

Cheers

Sounds appetizing. I will give that a go for the next one.