Need Counselling after Weekend 'Fish'

josamill

Fished the last of the runout around Dangar & the Rail Bridge on Saturday for 1 catfish - so well done us!!

Also put 4 witches hats down for zero.........

We were using live nippers, pillies and plastics which work for us around Pittwater. I'm keen to fish the Brooklyn, Mooney Mooney area a bit more often and any Raider tips will be gladly accepted!

Anyhow, with the sun shining and my 9 year old on board it was still magic day.

(Discovered he is a train spotter - He counted a train with 125 carriages - at 20m a carriage that's 2.5kms of train.)

Also, while at anchor, no less than 60 high horsepower ski boats - minus skiers - shot past us towards Broken Bay at 50 knots plus - slightly terrifying actually.

Cheers

Mate, at least you are fishing from a boat. If you know I have been fishing almost every weekend at night on the beach alone and only catching bream flathead salmon etc with no jew for the last two years, you will feel previlledged.

Feeling better now?

The hawkesbury can do that to you sometimes. I've had many a trip there scratching my head as to where the fish are. I find the best method when fishing a new area is drifting. You find some fish then drop anchor and lightly burley. Good luck next time!

Cheers scratchie!!!

I was land based on the harbour Sunday from about 11am (wussed out on the cold early start). Could not even get a yakka until 5pm and then as soon as I put it out a speedboat tangles and cuts my line.

Was a very quiet day and somewhat dissapointing. Moon phase perhaps?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Hey josamill, sorry to hear you bummed out at Brooklyn, but hey, we all have days like that sometimes.

I won't profess to be an expert fisherman. Am just learning the craft over the last 12 months, but I'm that way and do most of my fishing at Brooklyn. If you read through my posts in the fishing reports section, you will find some reports on fishing around Brooklyn, targetting bream, flathead and blue swimmers. I like to try to put as much info in them that will helps others (i'm just learning too, and come to this site to pick up as much tips from better fishermen than me).

Fishing around Brooklyn is difficult because of the tides. They run fast and I can never seem to rely of tide charts. But i'm starting to learn some of the good spots (which aren't really secrets, I've picked them up from sites like this). I seem to have the best luck on fresh local prawns.

I've had luck drifting on the south east side of Dangar on the incoming tide. And lately had luck with the witches hats in the mouth just off from Parsley Bay. Where did you drop your hats?

If you have any questions, ask here, and I willhave a crack at answering. Then someone more expert than me can correct me for you ;-)

If it's big jewies you're after, sorry, I can't help you there. I don't target them.

Edited by seasponge

Seasponge that is a great thank you....I'm not ambitious around jewfish either. A couple of flathead & crabs and a bream or two would have me over the moon.

I put the witches hats down on the south east side of Dangar - there are 5 channel markers 100m or so apart, and they were all around the 3rd/middle marker. Left them there, with cut up pilchards (which have worked in the past) in stockings. Left them there from 8.30am-11am........tide was low at noon.

How do you go drifting the incoming tide? Isn't the current too strong? I was thinking a sea anchor maybe?

Good tip on the prawns versus pilchards.

Just google mapping Parsley Bay now.

Cheers Ian

How do you go drifting the incoming tide? Isn't the current too strong? I was thinking a sea anchor maybe?

I like to get the incoming tide so it pushes me west across the flat on the south eastern side of Dangar. It's very tricky to get it right as if you don't start in the right spot, you end up getting pushed north around the eastern side of the island. The wind there can also push you away from exactly where you want to drift. But when you get it right, always seem the get some flattie as you come up onto the shallow water. I've got a sea anchor but i've never used it because its such a short, quick drift that you do over and over. I think it'd be quite a pain to be constantly hauling in the sea anchor and resetting it.

Just google mapping Parsley Bay now.

Just read another post and realise there are 2 Parsley Bays in Sydney (possibly more). Of course i'm referring to the Parsley Bay boat ramp at Brooklyn. I normally try to set the traps the last 1.5 hours either side of the low tide. Having said that, I normally drop them and don't end up retrieving them till the end of the fishing day so who knows when they actually get caught. Don't know how much longer the crab are in season either. Would be keen to hear from others.