Wheel clamps for trailer (or other security options)

seasponge

I'm looking into wheel clamps for my boat trailer and am wondering what experience fellow raiders have with them.

Reading a few reviews, the Klamp It brand comes highly recommended, but they are a bit more costly. There are cheaper ones on the market, but I'm not sure how good they are. I've discarded the option of a hitch lock.

What do others use for trailer/boat security? This is for security at home. Doubt I'd use it at a boat ramp unless I was going somewhere dodgy.

It's best to use both, ie a hitch lock and a wheel clamp. Both can be defeated by a determined thief, bur having two will at least slow them down or make them look for easier options. A wheel clam that covers the wheel nuts will be more effective than one that doesn't.

I use both at home and the hitch lock at ramps. Keeps the insurance company happy. I also back the trailer up as far as possible without bending things so that it makes it really difficult to unhitch. Ric.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest 4myson

Most insurance companies are not HAPPY unless it's behind locked gates . For your own insurance get a BIG BLOODY DOG !!! Not too many thieves are that eager to enter a property with a Vicious DOG !!!!

I have 3. Padlock on coupling handle.

Trailer lock on coupling and one on the wheel.

3 locks. I could have 4 as i have a spare wheel lock but its the simple wheel lock. I will keep that for camping grounds.

Yep - had the boat chained to the floor in his garage. The dog had access to the garage for security on a chain run. He came home and both chains had been cut and no boat and no dog. Not a very good dog I suspect. Probably gave it up for a pork chop

What ever you use, if they want to steal it they will.. However the harder you make it the better.. A cheap clamp and one that is not as noticeable is a chain that goes through the rim and around the tyre , over the springs or chassis and heavy duty padlock..

Add this with a coupling lock or padlock on the coupling or if possible simply take a wheel of as well...

SHADOWS WELDING AND TRAILER REPAIRS