Port Hacking - quiet

Yowie

Headed to Lilli Pilli early, the bites few and far between.

Pulled the tailor on a pillie, the only tailor bite for the morning. The trevally grabbed a small piece of fish bait on a yakka line.

An undersized reddie and that was it for the fish baits. Baits not getting a touch after that.

I threw some bread crusts in near the weed beds, which attracted a couple of bream, but the splashes appeared they would probably be just around legal size. Every now and then there would be a big hit on the bread crusts, so I lobbed out a few crusts on a small hook with no sinker. Either attacked by small bream or a bloody seagull.

Eventually a big hit on the bread, thought it was a good sized bream but turned out the be the blackfish. It had a stomach full of bread.

Pumped some nippers and drifted all over the place for an undersized flattie and an undersized whiting.

Don't know why the photo is upside down, it happens every now and then.

post-13153-0-19681500-1436154956_thumb.jpg

Edited by yowie

Now I've read your report I feel much better. If your struggling on the hacking it must be slow everywhere! You still managed a few mate.

Cheers scratchie!!!

That time of year in the Hacking, when the water cools off and the fish go quiet.

Probably will be a few fish around at night time, but I am not putting in a night time session. It is cold enough in an open boat heading up river against the westerly breeze while the sky is still dark.

Guest no one

Time the Hacking shuts for the winter then? Where do you go once the Hackings shut down Yowie?

Time the Hacking shuts for the winter then? Where do you go once the Hackings shut down Yowie?

Try one or two other spots, if nothing then head out to Bate Bay and fish for a couple of flatties.

Not like you Yowie. But what can you do if they are not playing. In your experience. How long is the quiet spell on the hacking last?

Around September the fishing should start picking up.

Sounds like a tough session yowie, theres still plenty of trevs around im finding, but they need a lot of burley to bring on the bite as well as going down to 4lb.

With the burley, if there are any little reddies in the area, they will swim around in numbers, even swimming up to take the sinking baits. The spot I fished yesterday had no little reddies, but last week's spot off Deer Park was alive with the little pests.