Narrabeen lakes

Conor_B

My first report. A quick one from the lakes a few weeks ago 24/6/15.

I arrived at the lake at about 10, 2 hours before the high tide and fished until 2 hours after high tide. There was a fair bit of wind which made it tough fishing in the yak but I managed to get into a few.

I caught 7 flathead, ranging from 320mm-450mm.

post-36005-0-26071200-1437098571_thumb.png

post-36005-0-53145300-1437098592_thumb.png

The flathead were caught with 2.5inch grubs in motor oil colour on jigheads of 1/8th oz and 1/12th oz.

I also caught 5 small bream.

post-36005-0-24783900-1437098561_thumb.png

The bream were caught on 2.5in grubs in pink and blood worm colour on 1/16th oz jighead. The fish were all undersized bar 1.

When getting from A to B in the lake I trolled my ecogear sx-40 along the drop offs in the hope of a bream but this resulted in 5 small tailor which went pretty hard for the size of them.

post-36005-0-44963500-1437098582_thumb.png

All caught using 1-3kg timber wolf, 1000 stradic ci4 spooled with 5lb braid and 4lb black magic fluro leader.

All in all a pretty good session for one of my first sessions in saltwater. I kept 2 flathead for the table and all other fish were returned.

Top first report Conor . I also fish the Lake for flatties but usually off the shore and more towards the back end of the Lake but haven't bothered lately. I assumed they would have shut down for the winter but obviously that's not the case! Have you found the tide makes much difference to your catches in the Lake?

Looks like you got some good weather for your paddle around the Lake as well!

Cheers

LuckyFil

Thanks man.

I havn't tried the back of the lake yet. When it starts to warm up I might try the feeder creeks for some ep's. The front of the lake is productive for the flatties but there is also a deep hole off wellington road which pulls up some good flatties and bream.

I find the colder weather might make them more lethargic, but they still need to eat so if you put effort in to move around you can still get good catches. As for the tide, I usually fish fresh water but I have noticed that the last couple of hours of the incoming tide have been productive for me.

Cheers, Conor