Bate Bay

Yowie

Headed out to give Bate Bay a try today, dropped the first bait at the leisurely hour of 11am, and finished at 3pm. Saw that the swell and wind forecast was in the calm mode, and when I first started, it was dead calm. Later a light breeze picked up from the east then south-east.

Caught my 10 flatties, not big fish, with one near 50cm, some not much over the limit, but enough fillets for a couple of feeds. Threw back more undersized ones than legal ones I kept. Mostly blue spots, with a couple of tigers as well. Spikey flatties in patches as well, pulling them up 2 at a time in some places. Used mullet fillets for bait, some that I had frozen from a couple of months ago.

Heard a couple of penguins calling out, and one whale hit the surface, but nothing else to see.

Better than fishing in the Port last Monday, where I tried Lilli Pilli for no bites at all, then drifted with nippers at many places for a whiting, a flounder and 3 duskies, all undersized. Last week was a few little reddies in Yowie Bay, with a couple of dolphins swimming near the boat. Inside the Port it is cold and clear water.

post-13153-0-07854300-1437642773_thumb.jpg

Guest no one

That's really late for you Yowie!!

Good for you going outside, good to know not to waste time in the hacking.

Great result mate that is an awesome feed

If u don't mind me asking, what depth were u fishing ?

Don't know the depth, as I don't have a depth sounder in my tinny. I was no further out from Cronulla than a line south of the Kurnell lighthouse.

Thats great ill be out bate bay i think next week

we fished NTH bellambi yesterday Stanwell park not a lot but

We where circled by a monster shark i recon it was as big as the boat, checked the Fin type on the net when we got home looked like a great white fin

I had shivers when it when around the boat

dogbox

Thats great ill be out bate bay i think next week

we fished NTH bellambi yesterday Stanwell park not a lot but

We where circled by a monster shark i recon it was as big as the boat, checked the Fin type on the net when we got home looked like a great white fin

I had shivers when it when around the boat

dogbox

Well, you can keep your big shark down that way. I don't need that circling my boat !

Great catch yowie! That's a lot of flathead just surprising with that many around there were no big ones!

Cheers scratchie_jnr

I caught plenty, and only one reasonable sized one amongst them.

Most of the flatties had roe inside them, the tigers had big fat roe, so they are now getting into breeding time.

A few good ones turn up during winter, but they can be scattered throughout the Port.

A bit of distance to travel out to Bate Bay for the flatties, but the ocean flatties taste a bit better than the duskies up river.

I tried the "Cronulla flathead drift" that is out from the Osborn Shoal this morning. Landed a legal blue spot and a legal sand flathead and about a dozen or so undersized ones. Used pink and fluoro green "snapper catcher" jigs baited with fresh squid strips and pieces of fresh pike. Fished in water around 33 metres deep. Sounds like I should have tried in closer! Also saw penguins but no whales today. Huge amounts of bait in the water in places. They surfaced a few times but didn't look like anything chasing it and no takes on a small Halco slice retrieved through them. Hundreds on smallish grey birds sitting on the surface and feeding around me. Anyone know what they would be?

I tried the "Cronulla flathead drift" that is out from the Osborn Shoal this morning. Landed a legal blue spot and a legal sand flathead and about a dozen or so undersized ones. Used pink and fluoro green "snapper catcher" jigs baited with fresh squid strips and pieces of fresh pike. Fished in water around 33 metres deep. Sounds like I should have tried in closer! Also saw penguins but no whales today. Huge amounts of bait in the water in places. They surfaced a few times but didn't look like anything chasing it and no takes on a small Halco slice retrieved through them. Hundreds on smallish grey birds sitting on the surface and feeding around me. Anyone know what they would be?

The flatties are scattered, just a matter of drifting along and finding the fish.

Saw a school of those fish on surface the day before, threw in a small lure for nothing. Previous years found some of those schools to be yellowtail, feeding on surface microbait.

The birds might be a type of shearwater