sydney harbour disappointment

gavw

Hi Raiders

I havnt been fishing in a while, so a mate and i decided to go out early morning yesterday to bottom bash around clifton, been hanging around for 1-2 hours and there was nothing.

Just after 8am we decided to head out to the heads hoping to bring home something decent for dinner, we followed a few boats out side of the heads, and it seem like they weren't having any luck either, we decided to head back in to the river until we came across seagull attacking a school of bait fish, it caught the attention of other boats too, started casting a jig into the school, hoping something decent would take it, the bait fish only lasted for about 3-4 min and it left and so did the seagulls. we ended back in to the river only to manage to catch one legal size bream, feel so disappointed. =(

What a bummer :(

Sorry you went to all that effort for no real return. I'm only just starting to experience this kind of bad luck and its really depressing!

Are you planning a next trip to try and make up for it?

I can be tough in the Harbour in winter.

Give sow and pigs a try but make sure you but out a steady trail of burley and you should be rewarded with a feed of trevaly.

Reports suggest there are good numbers of calamari there too so take the jigs with you.

Cheers

Jim

Winter is always a bit tough, I think August is the worst inside the harbour.

Like Fragmeister said, pick a reefy spot and berley, berley berley, you should get Trevally.

Anchor upstream on a runout and the reverse on the runin.

Inside middle head off Cobblers Beach is a good spot on the runout. It's protected too from southerlies.

I did about 5 hours land based on saturday. Managed two toadfish, a number of 10cm pinkie snapper and one leatherjacket. Lots of burley but no trevally which is what I was targeting.

You are not alone

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Burley is the key mate, in winter you usually have to bring the fish to you since they have a slower metabolism. So keep burl eying and fish unweighted baits through the trail you should pick some fish up :) hope that helps

Don't worry mate, it seems everyone's struggling at the moment, I was out all day Saturday and Sunday for 3 flatties. Wind was the biggest nuisance yesterday and I reckon it'll only get worse in August. At least you managed a legal fish, sure there'll be plenty more to come when it starts to warm up again.

Yea tough times at the moment ... I fished the harbour ... Spent 1.5 hours trying a long section for squid for a donut.

Then spent a few hours berleying hard with bread. Nothing for 2 hours, then some blackfish came to party. Landed 4 between 28-35cm.

mate i was out last sunday from 10-3 it was dead. went around fishing from marker to marker and hang around clifton for most of the fish. its was slow as well. we managed 4 trev, 2 red fish, 2 flounder and 1 flatties. no kingie to been seen, no salmon or bonito! it was great during summer and not much action during winter

What a bummer :(

Sorry you went to all that effort for no real return. I'm only just starting to experience this kind of bad luck and its really depressing!

Are you planning a next trip to try and make up for it?

Hey squishy im planning to go out again in 2 weeks time pending on forecast, fishing its like a drug addiction

thanks raider for the advices.

I tried mixing chicken pellets and bit of pilchards as berley, but dont think it work very well.

do you have any advice on how to make a good stinky berley ?

mate i was out last sunday from 10-3 it was dead. went around fishing from marker to marker and hang around clifton for most of the fish. its was slow as well. we managed 4 trev, 2 red fish, 2 flounder and 1 flatties. no kingie to been seen, no salmon or bonito! it was great during summer and not much action during winter

at least you caught more then me,

thanks raider for the advices.

I tried mixing chicken pellets and bit of pilchards as berley, but dont think it work very well.

do you have any advice on how to make a good stinky berley ?

I'm no expert, but I think you're on the right track there.

I'm making some this week, mashing up some white bread, chook pellets and pillies (as that will be my main bait).

Keep persisting mate, it'll pay off sooner or later.

Hey squishy im planning to go out again in 2 weeks time pending on forecast, fishing its like a drug addiction

I am learning of this addiction you speak of... Its so disappointing when after a whole weekend the best I can do is a few Yakkas and a reaaaally ugly Catfish!

Awesome that you have your next run planned, I hope its more fruitful.

On the burley... consider some tuna oil as well as the pellets, if you can stand the stench.

Edited by Squishy

I am learning of this addiction you speak of... Its so disappointing when after a whole weekend the best I can do is a few Yakkas and a reaaaally ugly Catfish!

Awesome that you have your next run planned, I hope its more fruitful.

On the burley... consider some tuna oil as well as the pellets, if you can stand the stench.

Good call on the tuna oil, absolutely agree.

If you go with tuna oil, keep it off your hands and your clothes.

I took my stinking clothes to the laundromat, they charged double because they had to rinse the machine after.p

My clothes still smelled.

I do a mix with bread crumbs (thanks Krispy) and tuna oil - I got a $2 ice cream scoop from Kmart that acts as a mixing spoon and burley dispenser. Don't even get the oil on my hands now.

Still trying to get the smell of previous sessions off my rod grips though - it still transfers to my hands.

Oh that ice cream scoop is a genius idea! It definitely has a very strong and lingering scent, and resulted in a lot of dry reaching at the smell of an open bottle in the kitchen trying to make burley bombs for a weekend away!