Braid weakness?

jtp

Hi everyone,

I normally fish from a boat or kayak but today went for a landbased session in the georges because I was lazy. I was using my lighter setup which I use for the kayak; platypus 6lb braid to 8lb mono leader. Braid on the reel is around 4months old and used almost exclusively off the yak and boat and rinsed well after any fishing. I had 2 big hook ups that both resulted in bust-offs. Strangely both were way away from the leader (both fish pulling drag, drag was set quite light). After the first bust-off I didnt think muchh of it and re rigged. The second time I was quite frustrated. After testing the braid in my hand it was very weak and snapped too easily for the line strength, no visible defects. Ideas for the weakness? normal wear and tear? bad batch? (although doubt it because it has performed quite well till now). I've checked the whole spool and it is weakened the whole way so I now have to respool. Replacement suggestions would also be good.

Thanks

Joe

I've been using 12lb berkely fireline exceed braid off the rocks for the past year and never washed anything. Braid lost colour but still going strong. Hooked up to massive 45cm trevs and 60+ salmon and only broke at my Albright when snagged.

Think it might just be a bad batch. Lot of new braid lines are being released. Might be worth trying another brand.

I would agree, check your line guides. Had a mate who kept losing fish through line breakage - he was not the best angler in the world but not that bad. Turns out he had the smallest crack in his tip guide and under pressure, that was enough. Never told him though, just kept saying he was useless.........that's what mates do!

I would agree, check your line guides. Had a mate who kept losing fish through line breakage - he was not the best angler in the world but not that bad. Turns out he had the smallest crack in his tip guide and under pressure, that was enough. Never told him though, just kept saying he was useless.........that's what mates do!

Hahaha, now that's a real mate!