Boat safety rules

squidboy

Here is a chance to have your say on boat safety rules. I am not sure whether attaching a safety lanyard to vessels under 4.8m decreases accidents or could cause more (in the event it is activated at speed by accident).

The link is below for members to read and/or have a say. Not sure if the link is allowed, but if not can administration delete my message please, no harm meant to site

http://www.boatsales.com.au/news/2015/proposed-boating-reg-changes-important-52990

Yeah, not sure on that kill switch lanyard rule. Going to be quite annoying for trolling having to disconnect from the lanyard before grabbing your screaming reel at the back of the boat, reckon I'd be accidentally killing the motor on just about every strike. Perhaps i'll just need to get a much longer lanyard. Hopefully its just for over certain speeds.

R

Edited by Mr Squidy

Some interesting rules in there.

There is a section about keeping body parts in the vessel when 'underway', but it doesn't clarify what underway means.

Strictly speaking, if you've got the motor on and you're pottering around at 4 knots, you can't lean over and bring a fish in =/

Another note was

99 (5) - driver of a boat doesn't need a boat licence if someone with a boat licence is able to immediately take control of the vessel. :eyeballs:

Going to be a real pain if you have to move about to help kids fishing or tying up to dock. Etc etc. it is a misguided attempt to protect all from the stupidity of the few. Can you imagine hitting a rogue wave that ends up causing the lanyard to come undone and your motor cuts out in the middle of a bar crossing. I'm mean really beareucrats should push paper not write rules they have no concept about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest no one

Nah I was pointing out the majority of boat owners would have boats 4.8m or under - might be wrong on that!

But there would certainly be a cost involved!

I use my lanyard in rough conditions it is fairly long so if I came out over a bar, by myself, it would cut out, I use it when spinning by myself in rough conditions but it would be a pain in the arse in the river, fishing at anchor, travelling outside.

I think that the kill switch lanyards definitely have their applications and are great for the purposes they were designed for. Especially solo in tiller steers in certain but not all situations and I'm sure any people will already make their own judgements on that. Also side and centre consoles that have no seat or stool to catch the driver if they lose their footing.

A blanket rule for all moving vessels is not one of these applications. I fish out of a very capable 4.7 m Haines half cab and am very safety conscious. I used to have people in the boat wear jackets in circumstances I deemed necessary long before it was mandated to be done in many unnecessary and inconvenient circumstances. I also have always had a kill switch with lanyard installed and have used it in situations I thought were necessary. It has never been required for it's designed purpose thankfully. It has however been bumped off a couple of times accidentally by crew and has slipped off when a new floaty key ring that was a tad too heavy bounced it off so I changed key ring. As anyone who has had one of these kill switches go off especially when you are travelling in control and have no reason to think otherwise, knows, it creates a situation that is ripe to cause a serious incident that most likely would not have otherwise occurred. The boat stops suddenly, may jolt, depending on the style of kill switch motor and boat, crew and drivers slam into windscreens, lose balance or could go over the side, it can make your boat obviously unpredictable to other boats if it stops for no apparent reason as it was just unpredictable to you, who were driving it. Not to mention the massive inconvenience factor for your simple slower moving activities as fishing, trolling, docking if you want to get technical. I'm pretty sure drifting is underway as well as you have control of the vessel. Real handy for jigging kings or fly fishing to be attached to a side console with a lanyard.

My main beef with all of the blanket rules is the people they are designed to save won't obey the rules and the people who will follow the rules because they like to do the right thing probably already take the right steps and do these things "in the necessary circumstances" anyway.

Sorry for the rant. I like you guys are sick of being plastered by rules to save people who won't follow them anyway.

I read the reg and it states that you must have lanyard clipped on at all times the motor is running and gear engaged for vessels under 4.8m. Guess what guys, that probably includes trolling motors as well so moving about the boat in current using the geo lock means you need the lanyard on too. They should include a speed such as above 10 knots unless towing skier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some interesting rules in there.

There is a section about keeping body parts in the vessel when 'underway', but it doesn't clarify what underway means.

Strictly speaking, if you've got the motor on and you're pottering around at 4 knots, you can't lean over and bring a fish in =/

Another note was

99 (5) - driver of a boat doesn't need a boat licence if someone with a boat licence is able to immediately take control of the vessel. :eyeballs:

The way I understand it if your not anchored you are underway, that includes drifting. So whilst drifting you must give way to sail ect. Seems rediculous you couldn't hang over the side whilst drifting. I haven't read the link yet.

The way I understand it if your not anchored you are underway, that includes drifting. So whilst drifting you must give way to sail ect. Seems rediculous you couldn't hang over the side whilst drifting. I haven't read the link yet.

If that's the case, technically speaking you can't lean over the boat to drop the anchor :P

By definition "underway" means, that a vessel is not at anchor, or made fast to the shore, or aground. Correct whilst drifting you are considered to be underway and must obey the Collision regs.

We have become such a nanny state where they feel they to regulate us to the point that anything other than sitting in the boat will become an offence. It's frustrating that common sense no longer applies to anything, just introduce more legislation to turn everybody into a robot or fine them if they don't comply. This reminds me of the Kerry Packer response into the senate inquiry corporate tax evasion, if you want to introduce more legislation, repeal an out dated one first.

Edited by Whaler 255