Hull HP rating of old boat vs. lighter new motors

RichieR

Hello Raiders,

I have an older 1972 14ft Cruise Craft run about - the motor has had it. (But the hull is still immaculate)

The hull is rated for 75hp and currently has a 1972 Evinrude 70hp motor on it.
I have been hunting around for a second hand motor and came across an Evinrude 2 stroke, 90hp motor ~2013 model that weighs 117kg.

My question is - would the hull have been rated for a 75hp motor based on the expected weight of a 75hp motor or the power output ?

My train of thought is that a 1972 model 70hp motor is going to be just as heavy as a modern 90hp motor.

Can anyone suggest any reason other than weight why it would be a bad idea to put a motor that is 15HP more than the hull is rated for ?

Boat is used for fishing getting from A to B - a bit of trolling and some waterskiing.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

you'll probably find that even though the 90 is lighter, its not relevant because

the hull is HP rated not weight. The people that made the boat would have rated it

based on weight and HP and the difference between a 1972 outboard and a 2013

outboard is massive.

Maybe ask your insurance person. I don't know if there is a engineering certificate

you can get, a bit like when you take a 4 cylander engine out of your car and drop a v8 in it

If that engine is an ETEC, you'll love it.

cheers

I have a similar sort of question. I have a 16ft 1991 model boat, but cannot find anywhere on the hull a stamp with the HP rating. Only the max persons rating. Is there anywhere else I can go to find out what the HP rating is?

Edited by Smasher

I love this topic. I'm currently in California and have also travelled to Mexico. The vessels are say around 7.0m yet have 2 to 3 largish (90hp plus) on the stern. I do not know how they determine the max HP on a boat in Oz. In the US it seems that you can bolt on as much as you can fit? Steve

The boats I've seen in the USA (on the internet I mean) seem to have massive amounts of outboards on the back

Are they cheaper over there then that you can put 3X250G2's on the back?

It would be nice to have the money to do that, I pay off my house instead!

I have a similar sort of question. I have a 16ft 1991 model boat, but cannot find anywhere on the hull a stamp with the HP rating. Only the max persons rating. Is there anywhere else I can go to find out what the HP rating is?

I have a similar problem, no HP rating and I also don't have a manufacturers plate on my 1980's boat.

It's 4.2mtr Alloy and currently has a 25hp on it.