Coffs - Red Central

dt27

Hey Guys,

Spent the weekend up at Coffs (Dave Irvine Snapper Classic) had a blast on the Reds. We fished Friday (Pre fish) and Saturday and scored over 50 reds over two days with the biggest at 82cm. Sunday was cancelled due to strong winds. Friday we found the fish caught one and moved on ready to hit them on Saturday. Worked well with the bait still there!

All caught on plastics in shallow water 8-15m.

Long casts were the key cause the water was crystal, I fished 20lb Fluro leader and 1/4ounce jig head. Clear colours worked a treat.

Love my Red fishing, particularly in Coffs where they are addicted to the plastics!

Cheers Dom

That's a very humble report dom! Let me finish it for you because you well and truly kicked some arse!

Not only did you won the tournament (male angler) but you and your mate also won the team award as well.

Raiders, this was no fluke! Dom also won this tournament last year as well with a cracking 88cm red. So to go back to back is a real effort in itself! Well done champion!

As he said, he loves his snapper fishing and he is the "snapper whisperer". See my previous post of my time fishing with him. That time was a snapper on a popper!

Sorry to embarrass you mate, but your report was underwhelming!

Catch ya soon buddy!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Nice report guys,

I fish the tournament every year but didn't enter this year as we had to come home on the Saturday night back to Sydney.

Also had a ball but didn't get the big numbers you guys did.

We found some quality fish in 25m-35m, 65cm through to 88cm and lost some bigger models. Fished down south towards bundagen , fish were scattered around and not schooled together. Flick bait evil minnow did most of the damage.

Dom I take it you guys fished up north as I didn't see you boys down south.

Brandon

That's a very humble report dom! Let me finish it for you because you well and truly kicked some arse!

Not only did you won the tournament (male angler) but you and your mate also won the team award as well.

Raiders, this was no fluke! Dom also won this tournament last year as well with a cracking 88cm red. So to go back to back is a real effort in itself! Well done champion!

As he said, he loves his snapper fishing and he is the "snapper whisperer". See my previous post of my time fishing with him. That time was a snapper on a popper!

Sorry to embarrass you mate, but your report was underwhelming!

Catch ya soon buddy!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Very kind words mate, just wanted to share the technique so we all can save time and catch some fish.

I have spent only a few years throwing plastics at reds but have that addiction.

Our few sessions last month around Port stephens was good practice!! Even if you did stick a prawn on the jig head!!

See you soon mate for some more

Cheers Dom

Nice report guys,

I fish the tournament every year but didn't enter this year as we had to come home on the Saturday night back to Sydney.

Also had a ball but didn't get the big numbers you guys did.

We found some quality fish in 25m-35m, 65cm through to 88cm and lost some bigger models. Fished down south towards bundagen , fish were scattered around and not schooled together. Flick bait evil minnow did most of the damage.

Dom I take it you guys fished up north as I didn't see you boys down south.

Brandon

Hey Brandon, yeah fished north cause we knew the nor Easter was predicted to go large in the arvo. The afternoon storm stirred them up!! Great comp and awesome fun for everyone. Great to see the Kids fishing up there catching heaps.

Guest 4myson

Well done mate & congrats on the win 2 years in a row ! I only a fortnight ago got into some decent snapper ( never really targeted them)... But now I'm hooked on them ... Good on you SCRATCHIE for giving him the recognition he deserves !

P.S where's your report Scratchie , he he he ....

Well done mate & congrats on the win 2 years in a row ! I only a fortnight ago got into some decent snapper ( never really targeted them)... But now I'm hooked on them ... Good on you SCRATCHIE for giving him the recognition he deserves !

P.S where's your report Scratchie , he he he ....

I gave you one last week and hopefully again after this weekend!

For the record, when nothing else works, I taught dom the secret of broughton island snapper!

Hey GUdude,

Thanks heaps, yeah the ramp wasn't too bad but I left my boat at the marina for a few days so I only had to put the boat in and out once for the four days I was there. They have dug out some more of the wall to assist which seemed to work when I was there.

• 3 weeks later...

Yep there are plenty up there my younger brother and mate have into them all on plastics as well as the others he's even got a pearl perch, shark , Samson, parrots all on plastics that's all he uses now think largest over October ,sept is 96 with a heap in the 80''s they are fishing bit further south about 20 min drive , he likes those elavator jigse9ffe9154126e80ee8ef1568a3070570.jpg

Edited by Frantic

Well done Dom. Congrats on winning the comp. Just got back from Coffs and the reds are still biting. The biggest in our comp went just under 93cm. Caught apparently on a floated butterflied yakka pinned on a snel rig! Also in shallow water. Chappo