Rod advice please

BrettP

Hi All,

I am heading to Cairns in a couole of weeks, and was looking to buy a rod for Gt poppers. It would be also something to use in sydney for Kings. I guess I would like to spend up to $500. I am very confused after looking at endless websites and tackle stores. Any advice from experience would be great.

Cheers

Pretty simple choice .....Shimano Terez Black 7'6 30 to 50lb will stop just about anything you'll come across and throws big rooster poppers. Or a Diawa Demon Blood in a similar size but it may go a little over your budget depending on what size you get

what size braid are you running and what size poppers are you throwing ?? and reel size perhaps would help and 30 TO 50LB rods wont stop much when GT fishing just ask John Dory who was running a stella 10000 and 50lb braid and got smoked every cast

Just a word of warning to check your luggage allowances. Some of the cheaper airfares will treat a rod tube as a separate item and try to charge excess baggage at ridiculous rates. The Terez is great but at 7ft6 might cost you half the rod price in excess if you get the wrong person.

what size braid are you running and what size poppers are you throwing ?? and reel size perhaps would help and 30 TO 50LB rods wont stop much when GT fishing just ask John Dory who was running a stella 10000 and 50lb braid and got smoked every cast

Got "smoked" on every cast......Find that hard to believe...Its very hard to get a fishing reel to actually smoke........especially a Stella....he may have got busted off, .............but then we all get days like that..........I've lost 24 jigs in 3hrs on 50lb gear chasing Kings off Lord Howe......Just a day where you can't stop them no matter what

Just a word of warning to check your luggage allowances. Some of the cheaper airfares will treat a rod tube as a separate item and try to charge excess baggage at ridiculous rates. The Terez is great but at 7ft6 might cost you half the rod price in excess if you get the wrong person.

Mr Bransons Airline will charge you $35 for the rod tube if you book it in online $70 if you check it in at the Airport. I have heard stories of the other two budget carriers refusing point blank to take rod tubes, which is strange since they take surf boards and golf clubs

I am using a saltist 6500 with 60lb braid. Unsure of popper size. I guess that is my next research place. Never done this before, so will take advice. The trip is heading to ribbon reef no.5 off port douglas

Brett

Hope you get monster that you can stop.

I couldn't.

The rod I was using was a Ian Miller "T" Curve it had balls.

I believe our problem was fishing from anchored Mother ship in a good current giving them all the advantage.

Crossfire63

There was no smoke but the Stella was sure Hot. (where is Wayne to back me up, the ex pro fisho who wanted the had the last laugh. NOT!)

have a read here http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=78006

JD

Hey Brett,

I hope you have been down the gym in anticipation of your upcoming trip... from what I have heard Fishing for GT with poppers on those longer rods is about as tough as it gets.

Hope you have a great trip.... look forward to the reports and the pics.

Cheers

Jim

Mr Bransons Airline will charge you $35 for the rod tube if you book it in online $70 if you check it in at the Airport. I have heard stories of the other two budget carriers refusing point blank to take rod tubes, which is strange since they take surf boards and golf clubs

Jetstar has no bulk hold. If it doesn't fit in the baggage containers, its going nowhere. 2m max.

Flying to Vanuatu last year Virgin quoted me $55 each way for a rod tube so I bought 2 travel rods instead for the kids to fish in the lagoon that would fit in a suitcase. Coming back the guy at the counter next to me had bought a rod over there and was trying to check it in. I felt sorry for the poor girl at the counter who was just quoting their policy but at the check they wanted $110 excess one way. It was getting quite heated as I left but they local girl serving doesn't have any option.

Thanks for the baggage tips. I will be making some phone calls in the next couple of days

There's a good tackle shop there that will pack it in a tube to bring back if you get caught and are prepared to pay the excess for the return only assuming you need to.