Surf poppers at semi-surf beaches?

pugzthugz

Although I'm not familiar with the locations you mention I've caught flathead, bream, tailor and salmon on surf poppers inside Jervis Bay in what I'd imagine to be similar conditions, often outfishing the baited hook.

What I find works for me is not to cast as far as I would with just bait alone, keeping the popper in an area where the low waves / swell will get it swinging backwards and forwards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
3 minutes ago, Babystepz said:

What size poppers would of be good ? 

Surf poppers aren't the poppers you're thinking of, I believe. They more like a feathered fly with a small cupped faced head on them. Google surf poppers and you'll see what I mean.

Most of them are made on a hook about 1/0.

6 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

Surf poppers aren't the poppers you're thinking of, I believe. They more like a feathered fly with a small cupped faced head on them. Google surf poppers and you'll see what I mean.

Most of them are made on a hook about 1/0.

The way I see it a beach bases surf popper rig is as you describe, a popper in a 2 or 3 hook patenoster rig.

In saying that if you use a popper lure & throw it into white water to catch something like a GT or similar well you that's also a popper.

Open to interpretation really.