Favourite Sashimi?

Krispy !

interesting, how do you rate salmon and tailor taste wise?

I prefer the salmon as sashimi rather than cooked unless you know what you are doing. As for the Tailor we usually like it already but both are not as good as say kingfish but quite decent. But be sure to remove dark meat after filetting.

When catching tailors I would keep what ever I can but for Salmon I would keep max two fish, one for sashimi and one for cooking (sweet/sour tomato sauce)

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

For me the following are ones I have caught and like as sashimi.

1. Trevally

2. Kingy

3. Bonito

4. Snapper

Favourite though is YFT or any tuna

Not sure I could do Aussie Salmon raw....maybe pickled tailor rollmops style might work. Might try that next time nice and oily.

• 2 weeks later...

Surprisingly, even the humble yakka (yellowtail) isn't bad. I've had it in several Japanese restaurants and is actually quite good. The flesh of course is white and so doesnt have the depth of flavour of the blood-rich tunas but when combined with soy, ginger and wasabi it is good - and we can all catch yellowtail. Since sashimi is usually sliced quite thin anyway, you can get quite a bit off a yakka and you can keep them alive until you get home - that is fresh!

Yep I saw somewhere that chef from Tetsuie (?) say the same thing about Yakka's

Steve

I stand behind everything I say, except usually I'm prone.

Yep I saw somewhere that chef from Tetsuie (?) say the same thing about Yakka's

Steve

Tetsuya Wakuda - I read an article which states he flies down to Tasmania once a week and hand selects the fish he uses in his resteraunt :P

I've only tried trevally and yellowtail, the trevally is fantastic but not so keen on the yakkas. They're ok I guess.

Can anyone elaborate on how Australian salmon fares as sashimi? I've got a nice one in the fridge and am wondering if it might be worth a go.

I've only tried trevally and yellowtail, the trevally is fantastic but not so keen on the yakkas. They're ok I guess.

Can anyone elaborate on how Australian salmon fares as sashimi? I've got a nice one in the fridge and am wondering if it might be worth a go.

Yakkas are fantastic. Japanese restaurant present them cut and left on their bones you just use chopsticks to pick the cut flesh.

As for Aussie salmon I would only eat them as sashimi if fresh not frozen. Unless you have ikijime the fish straight away and kept it on ice right from the catch then you'll have more chance it still tastes good. So when fresh I would eat it sashimi any time

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Yeah? Maybe it's something to do with how I treat the fish after capture. Usually I keep my yakkas live to use as bait, then choose a couple of the big ones later for sashimi. Better to ikijime them straight up?

I just googled the term. Usually I whack them with a closed fist to the head and then bleed them. Probably doesn't make for the best quality eating flesh, now that I think of it.