Going To Norah Head Canyons

REKLESS

Gidday guys,

I was reading on another site about some rather nice sized yellowfin that were caught off Kiama last weekend,they were near or on some canyons off there and I got to thinking about some other canyons that I have fished many years ago ,these are off Norah heads.

I am going to see if I cant talk my mate into putting his boat in at Swansea and heading out from there.The question rides that if we put in there and head out ,where is there some livebait grounds off of swansea?.Is it practical to go out from there?,the alternative would be the usual browns /shelf etc,but judging by the catch off sydney last weekend I suspect that the areas to the North and South seem to be the go.

Does anyone have reliable coordinates for the norah canyons?,I understood that there was two running parallel to each other and they are about two to three miles long.

Comments apreciated.

Simon

Gidday guys,

Does anyone have reliable coordinates for the norah canyons?,I understood that there was two running parallel to each other and they are about two to three miles long.

Comments apreciated.

Simon

69538[/snapback]

There's a bit of a spread in these coordinates borrowed from a page freely available on the web - keep in mind that the good fish will hang around structure and most times won't be right on top of it - so should give you a good starting point - look for the usual signs :mfr_lol: when in the area.

Norah Canyons 33.18.04 152.12.310

Norah Canyons Sth 33.21.707 152.08.134

33"21.80' 152"06.50'

33.21.933 152.07.931

33.21.958 152.08.148

33.21.993 152.08.265

33.22.025 152.07.923

33.22.128 152.07.923

33.22.200 152.08.107

33.24.500 152.10.100

33"26.50' 152"14.00'

33"17.22' 151"48.44'

Norah Canyons 33.21.760 152.07.70

Simon - the way my fishing has been going lately, let me know which day you're going out there and I'll go to Brown's. that way one of us is guaranteed to get a fish :074::074:

Edited by bluecod

i will probably be heading out to norah canyons one day this weekend

the canyons are about 30 nm off swansea

so its a little bit further out than browns.

on the way out of the mouth of the river get in close to moon island i think its called and burley up.

you can get livies there.

Edited by djmac

Hey Simon,

Like djmac has said we will be taking our boats out from swansea on saturday as long as the weather holds up. If its sweet we will fish the canyons but if its a bit so so then we may just troll 60-80fth area over some reefy ground.

Mate my call sign is "thank the bank" and djmacs is "frenzy" so give us a buzz on either 27meg 94 or on vhf.

Cheers Jas!

PS and like he has mentioned moon island in close has plenty of yakkas on offer. just be carefull of the bomby on the outside edge of the island.

Hey bluecod. Thanks for the welcome. Changa doesnt really have a problem with any sites mate as far as i know. I know he chats on a few forums. I know the MB gives great advice for guys like me just tryn to catch a few fish and most of the guys are great so Ill certainly keep going back there. But anyway this is about norah and FIN, hopefully fin anyway, lol.

Simon,

I fish the middle canyon. I havnt been there for a few months now. From memory in our rig doing about 18-20knts takes about 1hr45min. I THINK. So dont quote me on it, lol.

Its a bit over 30 miles.

Anyway i will post a report after our trip tomorrow.

Good luck to those havn a fish.

Cheers Jas!

Hey bluecod. Thanks for the welcome. Changa doesnt really have a problem with any sites mate as far as i know.  I know he chats on a few forums. I know the MB gives great advice for guys like me just tryn to catch a few fish and most of the guys are great so Ill certainly keep going back there. But anyway this is about norah and FIN, hopefully fin anyway, lol.

70032[/snapback]

Jas, All good mate! Just having a friendly dig :biggrin2:

Hope the weather holds for you guys tomorrow - best of luck out there :thumbup:

Gidday guys,I was doing some serious arithmetic with Grant who owns the Bar crusher that we will be going out in.It carrys 140lt of juice ,the engine is a brand sparklin 4 stroke 150 johnson.We have been out on this boat on three occasions and have found that on a typical run to of 60km we would use about 50 lt of juice.If we were to go to the canyons and the weather was nice we would be left with a margin that would I feel be a little to tight to make the fishing out of there a comfotatable proposition,even with carrying three jerrycans worth ,there is that thing about the weather.

I think that until we get to know the boat better we might be staying a little closer to australia.Looks like it may be Browns mountain ,much closer,its only 37km off Botany.Saying that ,we will wait for the results from Jason and DJ mac before we totally write off getting out there.

Simon

It carrys 140lt of juice ,the engine is a brand sparklin 4 stroke 150 johnson.We have been out on this boat on three occasions and have found that on a typical run to of 60km we would use about 50 lt of juice.If we were to go to the canyons and the weather was nice we would be left with a margin that would I feel be a little to tight to make the fishing out of there a comfotatable proposition,even with carrying three jerrycans worth ,there is that thing about the weather.

70048[/snapback]

Smart thinking Simon :thumbup:

We go to Browns and do a lot of trolling during the trip. A 150 4 stroke Yammie pushing a 6 metre Signature will chew through about 80 litres of juice. As the boat carries 250 litres under the floor, we're left with a very comfortable margin.

Until you get a better feeling for burn rates, staying in closer is only sensible.

Simon,

i know of a couple of blokes with 140 4st pushing 6m + boats and they can all do a 10-12hr day in under 100lt.

If you are worried, take a jerry, but you definately wont need it with a 4st.

good luck guys.

changa

ps. bluecod, i have been here since the site started virtually, just dont post a million times a day. always willing to lend a hand tho as everyone has to start somewhere :thumbup:

Hey guys,

Well we headed out today from swansea. Winds were 15-20knts early on. Not much sea or swell so the run out was sweet with the wind from the SW. Djmac (colin) ended up staying in close for a troll. I headed out and trolled the shelf and mid norah canyons area along with 2 other club boats out there. HEADHUNTER tagged a est 80kg tiger on 15kg around 11am.

Myself and the other club boat (KURLY) were both back in by 3pm with all zero's. Sea temp out there was 19.5deg. Weather was lush as the wind dropped to a nice 5-10knts. Spoke with HEADHUNTER at around 2.30pm who had just hooked up to another shark on 15kg. Unsure of the end result.

There was a sighting of an est60kg marlin free jumping in around 30 fth at around 8.30am. Aside from that it was VERY quiet.

As for the fuel. I run a 140 4 stroke on my 5.7m allison. Today the motor ran for 8hrs and would have gone through approx 70-80litres. Will let you know the actual amount when i fuel up again monday.

cheers Jas!

I followed jason out to about 40 fathoms and trolled from there when we found a heap of birds.

trolled to about 5miles off the shelf and zig zagged north for a few miles and trolled in. trolled past where a freejumper was supposedly seen in the morning. but all zeros for us too

weather was a little nasty in the morning but turned good around 11am.

was good to be out there anyway!