chasing snapper off northern beaches reefs

roba72

Hi all

Headed out on wenesday morning for a fish with my mate. Put boat in at Parsley bay and seeing the weather was nice headed outside heads hoping to get some reds. was hoping to have lines in the water before sunrise but we were a little late looks like I have to get up earlier than 5am next time. Went out near Reggies and Birchgrove park. We did get 2 snaper just under legal size and half dozen sweep. Squid and pilchards as bait. Heard reports of some big snapper coming in hopefully next time we will get their older siblings. Paternosta rig was used, I tried a 5inch gulp with 3/8oz headbut no luck with that, im only new with the plastics still dont know what im doing. Do you guys think Reggies and surrounding area is not the place for bigger reds, do I have to venture a little further?

A few weeks ago I was in pittwater fishing near barrenjoey headland and western side of Palm beach when I caught a fairly large octopus wanted to eat it but apparently there is only 3 species of octopus that can be eaten and I didnt want to take the chance. Would anyone know what kind it would be I dont have a pic but I cant imagine there would be many species in pittwater. Overall it was the size of a football.

Your in the right area for a big red. Try to fish light weighted baits and plastics. Anchor and berley if you can and drift a whole pillie down the trail. if not drift over your mark and cast in the direction of your drift. less weight is better for big reds.