Shimano Stradic 7'

hatheadheaven

Took delivery of a Shimano Stradic 7' spin rod yesterday bought via an online fishing store and noticed that the top and bottom halves look completely different :huh:

Here's a pic:

Maybe a bit hard to see, but the bottom half has a graphite weave pattern whilst the top half is a lighter flat matt grey colour. Even the bindings around the guides are different - blue and gold on the bottom half, nothing on the top half. It just looks like each half is from a different rod. I know the fish don't see this, but I have to look at it when I'm fishing....

Is this normal?

Cheers

Simon

Edited by hatheadheaven

Sounds like the packer at the store has picked up pieces from two different rods, that or the rod builders at Shimano are spending far too much time breathing fumes in the factory :wacko: Shoot an email to the store with the photo and ask the question. Hope you get it sorted mate.

Shane

:1fishing1:

I don't think so! :wacko:

69619[/snapback]

They are normal,ive checked in the store for you, the stella, squidie, and stradic range are the same! :05:

Dan

Edited by hottuna

Hmmm - differing opinions - that's why I love this site!!!

Rang the Shimano contact listed on their website and a guy there looked in a catalogue and said they were indeed different. Couldn't say why though. I reckon it looks damn ugly :ranting2: I can understand a graduated difference along the length of the rod, but not as chalk and cheese as these two pieces are.

Will email the shop and see what they say, but looks as though this is what they are like. Sometimes it pays to try before you buy...... as you say Dan :05:

Feels like a nice rod though, shame its butt ugly :1prop:

It is normal.

The bottom half is wrapped. The theory is that it makes the bottom half stronger and stiffer. Helping with lifting power as well as making it a really fast action rod.

Don't distress, for the money they are half decent for flicking small lures around.

100 percent normal; It is because Miller designed the rod with different modulus (or at least characteristics) of graphite for tip and butt. Stripping guide has trim cause it's underbound, I think, while the tip section single foot guides afre not underbound, making for a crisper action. They are very good value for money and put the lie to those who always seem to suggest $300-$400-$500 rods for jig casting. By the by was in a city tackle store yesterday and one of those gorgeous Daiwa top end spinning rods, can't remember the model, had a price tag of $800-plus bucks :1yikes: (not dissing the shop they are nice blokes), cheers Bombie

100 percent normal; It is because Miller designed the rod with different modulus (or at least characteristics) of graphite for tip and butt. Stripping guide has trim cause it's underbound, I think, while the tip section single foot guides afre not underbound, making for a crisper action. They are very good value for money and put the lie to those who always seem to suggest $300-$400-$500 rods for jig casting. By the by was in a city tackle store yesterday and one of those gorgeous Daiwa top end spinning rods, can't remember the model, had a price tag of $800-plus bucks :1yikes: (not dissing the shop they are nice blokes), cheers Bombie

69746[/snapback]

Completely normal in this range of rods. I have two, and couldn't give a rats cracker about the difference. Any way I spend more time looking at the beautiful fish I catch than the rod :)

Oh and the bloody fireline birdsnest I seem to be getting lately :074:

Anyway you get what you pay for , 115 buck rod, pretty good looking if you ask me.

Matt

Completely normal in this range of rods. I have two, and couldn't give a rats cracker about the difference. Any way I spend more time looking at the beautiful fish I catch than the rod :)

Oh and the bloody fireline birdsnest I seem to be getting lately :074:

Anyway you get what you pay for , 115 buck rod, pretty good looking if you ask me.

Matt

70580[/snapback]

I agree Matt. Used it for the first time on the weekend and it felt like a nice rod, although nothing tested it (certainly not the 10cm flathead :074: ). It's a good rod for 85 bucks :1naughty:

I am using fireline for the first time and got a couple of tangles when casting. A bit to do with the knot between the fireline and vanish struggling to get through the top guide. I use a stren knot to tie the leader on and it only seems to be about 1mm - 1.5mm in diameter, but still catches on the top guide - anyone got any better knots to tie that will give a very slim knot? The guide seems to have enough room for this knot to go through, so not really sure why its happening :ranting2:

As well as the odd tangle, it buggers the casting distance....

Cheers

Simon

I use the stren knot and have no problems with it. Are you trimming it closely?

71020[/snapback]

G'day Dave. Trimmed as close as can be without nicking the knot.

I think I just need to practice tying the stren a bit more to see if I can slim it down a bit. I'll get there.....

G'day Dave. Trimmed as close as can be without nicking the knot.

I think I just need to practice tying the stren a bit more to see if I can slim it down a bit. I'll get there.....

71023[/snapback]

G'day,

You did well, that's the wholesale price isn't it.

Matt

Yeah as others have said it's normal my squidgie rod is the same, I'm also using the stren knot to tie leader to fireline and don;t have any prob, I actually had to change the top section of my rod when I bought it as the guides were,'t all in line :ranting2: have you checked the guide are lining up properly?

What reel are you using on it?

I reckon there great value for money :thumbup: