Rookie Error

Herefishyfishy101

Hey Raiders,

Went for a quick fish this arvo in the hacking and learnt a valuable lesson or two.

There was a HUGE bait ball and I could see a few salmon going crazy on them with bust ups every few minutes for an hour. They weren't interested in my pillies or squid so I tried my hand at lure fishing instead.

Grabbed a metal lure from the box, tied it onto my leader and fast retrieved it back - would you know two good sized salmon chased it. I stopped my retrieve and let the lure hit them in the nose and saw one of them grab the lure.

STRIKE!

The lure came off - I clearly hadn't tied it on properly.

I grabbed a second lure and did exactly the same thing again - fed the fish two lures off two casts.

Without any more metal lures I switched to a minnow grub but no interest. I went back to bait fishing and managed a few juvi snapper but nothing worth keeping.

If fishing is about learning then today I have learnt that I can't be lazy when I'm tying my knots!!

Cheers,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi mate,

Even though I am a rookie, I am one of those belivers of "I will nail that fish of a life time" kinda guy. So always over paranoid about how I setup.

What I do is, after tieing every knot, I hold the non sharp part of the hook, face it in another direction (just incase it slips), and I pull the line connected to it by applying around 7-8kg of pressure (depending on the line im using). Believe it or not mate, I have had hooks come off like they were taped to the line instead of being tied lol... once I am satisfied the hook will hold, I cast out.

I have had snags, where I used so much force to rip the hook out with just the rod, but my knots wont let go. Its better to know your knots good :) Better luck next time bro!

Jay

If fishing is about learning then today I have learnt that I can't be lazy when I'm tying my knots!!

How Very Very true,

You spend hundreds or even thousands on your gear.

A lot of time and effort planing and getting that bait or lure in the water.

All is not worth Jack if you do not have your terminal tackle tied correctly.

Next one to keep an eye on is frays or nicks in your line, If it isn't perfect redo your rig.

That next fish could be the fish of a life time!

JD

I know, wise after the event! But my personal motto is ATD (Attention to Detail). The smallest thing can let you down - and particularly knots. Practice and then practice some more and then more until you can do it your sleep. It pays off, believe me.

I once had the privilege of being on a plane with a very well known Australian golf professional and asked what "us mugs" can do to help with our game. "Easy" he said, "just pay attention to the small stuff - like keeping the grooves on your clubs clean, use a good golf ball and just keep it simple and practice". "It's unlikely at your age that your swing will change, so just control what you can". A tad cruel I thought, though true! Same applies to fishing I think.

Edited by Twinfisher 4.9

It could have been tailor or something like bonito (probably not bonito in winter) that simply bit your lure off. I'm a bit of a stickler for knots (not always, sometime I watch my lure fly into the sunset no longer tied to the line and then cry out many expletives) but I remember a time using fairly light line where I lost about 6 lures in fairly quick succession until I increased my leader strength. I can tell you, it was an expensive outing. Practice tying knots - if that's not working up your leader strength.

Hey Raiders,

Went for a quick fish this arvo in the hacking and learnt a valuable lesson or two.

There was a HUGE bait ball and I could see a few salmon going crazy on them with bust ups every few minutes for an hour. They weren't interested in my pillies or squid so I tried my hand at lure fishing instead.

Grabbed a metal lure from the box, tied it onto my leader and fast retrieved it back - would you know two good sized salmon chased it. I stopped my retrieve and let the lure hit them in the nose and saw one of them grab the lure.

STRIKE!

The lure came off - I clearly hadn't tied it on properly.

I grabbed a second lure and did exactly the same thing again - fed the fish two lures off two casts.

Without any more metal lures I switched to a minnow grub but no interest. I went back to bait fishing and managed a few juvi snapper but nothing worth keeping.

Cheers,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been there done that lol or should I say Basil didnt tie it on for me properly

Edited by Mrs Groper

Hey man I have lost to many fish due to dumb stuff. I now always replace my flouro leader after a fishing session now even to the point I cut off when packing up.

I then re do everything at home and test all my knots if I don't like even the look of it I cut it off and start again.

I am with the uni knot, some say to add a lock to it but I find this creates issues.

Keep it simple and practice practice practice

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk