Tuross head

teddybear

I am heading down to Tuross head in 3 weeks, just wondering hows the fishing down there and is prawning a worth a shot, I will be staying at the red box cottage right in front of the lake most of my fishing will be land base thanks in advance for any tips or advice

i havnt been since the end of summer - but we were getting small prawn at the back of the lake so im sure the bigger ones will be at the front of the lake - also the lake next door has them - unsure if there out and about yet but they in there - im taking my gear this weekend to durras -

they say months with an R in it are good months - peak is november till april -

fingers crossed

Hi there Teddybear! - I have a house at Tuross and have been fishing the river since 1968 (4 year old!!)......the fishing in the last 3 years has, in my opinion been the best in that whole time.

The river is famous for big flathead and generally accepted as one of the 2-3 best big flathead estuaries on the east coast of Australia along with Malacoota Inlet further south.

September is tough, but with persistence the big fish are definitely around. Never tried prawning in the river, but we catch a feed in Coila Lake near the beach/entrance over Summer. If you can find half a dozen prawns, they will almost assure you of a flathead feed.

Land based is really hit and miss - could be a very long time between fish at this time of year. Best to hire a tinny or even a kayak next door to Red Box I think - if you are going to do that I can PM good spots within 2KMs of the jetty to flick plastics.

The only good land based options I have experienced are 500M back from the river entrance for blackfish, or in the southern corner of Coila Beach where we catch salmon & tailor and great bream - but always on beach worms.

It is such a beautiful place!

Cheers

Edited by josamill

Hi Teddybear,

I stayed at Redbox in April last year. I know the results won't be the same, but the water off the back of the house is one big eddy. I was hauling in flathead after flathead, 8 out of 10 were keepers, but the biggest went 45cms. It rained hard for the first two days, but I picked up trevally, tailor and bream in the rain. I was using salted pillies, and lures with the pillies being more successful, of course. When the rain stopped and the lake level and debris dropped a bit, I took the kayak out, but scored donuts, probably due to my unfamiliarity of the lake system. Still, you should return home with a reasonable report. Hope the weather stays good for you.

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from a week at Tuross Head, staying at Tuross Lakeside Tourist park. Fishing was very poor due to the big rain event about 4 weeks ago. Coila Lake was opened due to this (not sure if it is still open, think it was whilst we were there).

Hopefully fishing is now picking up, the locals thought it would be by now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk