Sunday trips

SgtBundy

The boys had wanted to go out last week but I had reservations about their patience for a full day fishing so I had gone alone. To make it up I was going to take them night fishing but somehow we got on to fishing at dawn and they wanted to see the sunrise. With an early high tide and good weather I figured it was going to be a decent day for it.

Up at 5 and hit clifton gardens at 6. Already a few there and the prime spots gone but we grabbed a spot and I set the boys up for targetting trevally. I set out a heavier bait as well but it was just picked apart. The boys were not getting any touches at all and there seemed to be minimal catches by anyone. I tried for some squid but got two cuttlefish, and prospecting with some lures resulted in nothing. By 8am the boys were beyond bored and as I promised breakfast after high tide they were pushing me on that, so we left to get food.

Not wanting to waste a 5am start on a nice day I wanted to try elsewhere but son 2 was becoming uncoperative and wanted to go home. Son 1 wanted to try again so I opted to head north and try appletree bay following some discussions at work about it. We checked narrabeen near the lagoon exit on the way but it was barren. Talking to a fisho packing up off the rocks there they had no real catch either.

At Appletree bay there was a constant parade of boats launching but the fish seemed absent. Same greenish water as the harbour. Son 1 managed a small leatherjacket but that was it and after an hour we called it quits. At least son 2 enjoyed the drive through Bobbin head road.

Was back home by 12ish. Some lunch and weekly shopping sorted to help out the wife. I mentioned I would have liked to have tried the evening high tide and was given the ok to go (with some concern about fatigue from a 5am start, but a short nanna nap helped with that).

Grabbed some frozen pillies and headed for Narrabeen, arriving on dusk around 5:30. The surf was small and featureless which didnt bode well so I just setup where I arrived. Had lots of hassles with keeping pillies on my two hook snelled rig - not sure how long I was fishing without bait but I am guessing it was a lot. Did my best with putting it into the backbone etc but most hooks came back empty with no bites.

Just before high tide around 8 I made a snelled tripple rig like a gang hook and set that out to see if that worked. Shortly after I got my answer with 3 quick hits and then a strong fight with a 45cm tailor.

9e884c7f9f6d16d20a155b8fa2f71206.jpg

I tried for a while longer and might have had another that I dropped but called it quits before 9pm.

Surprised such a nice conditions were so unproductive in the morning but happy to have a few fillets to take home at the end of it all.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk