Casting Flurocarbon line

Pauafritta

I am having trouble getting any casting distance using 6lb FC. I havent really fished line below 14lb before (and that was braid), so it is is new for me. I have a reel spooled only with FC tied straight to a squid jig or jig head, targeting squid and bream, but was getting much better distance on the heavier braid. Is this normal? Should i go back to heavier braid main line and light FC leader?

You'll always get better cast out of braid than mono , So i'll be using the braid with a long fluoro carbon leader Say about 2 to 3 rod lengths especially when targeting Squid as they have Exceptional eye sight !

I have to say that I was not a fan of flourocarbon lines except for us in leaders but probably because

I wasn't up to date with recent changes.

But I used a mates the other day spooled with Trilene Line and I was surprised about how improved it was.

It wasn't as stiff as thought it would be but I do agree it doesn't come off the spool as well as braid or mono.

My preference for most applications is braid with a FC leader.

Cheers

Jim

I run a 3m or so mono leader off my braid, tie that to a swivel and then flouro to the hook - sinker above the swivel for bait, clean for lures or if running a 0/00 sinker to an octo hook if fishing a berley trail. I like the supple mono off the reel and the bit of stretch it gives. My light work outfit is 6 lb braid to 12 lb mono to either 6 or 10 lb flouro - the latter when chasing Flatties, the former for Bream or Whiting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Tastee