Roadtrip paid off!

allen_f

Hi Raiders,

Previously I posted in the chat section to ask for advice on where to fish in Jervis Bay, unfortunately the house we tried to book got booked out last minute so we changed directions and headed up to the central coast. Thank you to those who had responded!! Really appreciated the input.

There was only one day to fish as the conditions were horrible - extremely strong wind and rain. So I took my dad and the rest of the family up to Swansea heads as it looked amazing on google maps. Lucky for us, when we got there, the rock breakwall covered the wind nicely and we were able to have a cast from 1pm onward. Using a variety of baits, the fish seemed to be extremely picky and I only picked up a 4cm croaky stripey fish foul hooked in the stomach. The day wasn't looking too good but I kept casting and eventually pulled up a silly toadfish so that lead to me taking a break and going to grab some food with the girlfriend. After returning from our food run, the wind had stopped and I took the opportunity to head out to the tip of the breakwall to join my dad. My second cast of the pilly cube and something took it for a screaming run. I had only brought my 2-4kg shimano sp rod and my little sienna 2500 went for a screamer. The drag was screaming and line was just peeling off the spool. My heart was racing whilst I was struggling to find a good grip on the rocks. The fish was heading towards deeper water and took a good 30-40m of line with it. I've never caught anything that felt this big so I had no idea what it was. I was hoping for a kingy but then the fish decided to show its face and put on an aerial show for everyone watching. At this stage, a fairly large group of locals had gathered behind me cheering me on and damn this fish was big. I fought it for about 10 minutes before it started tiring out, with a load of WOOOS and cheering behind me it was time for me to bring the fish in. I had brought it to my foot and my dad was scrambling about the rocks trying to put the fish into the net when the line snapped. I was only using 10lb braid and 10lb fluoro leader so I was quite devastated. The fish was lost at my foot :( I had a really good look at the fish and it was close to a metre in length. This fight had destroyed my back, might as well cancel my gym membership and fight big fish all day! Haha, regardless it was time to move on. This time I had taken my dad's bigger rod holding 40lb braid and flicked a nice pilly cube into the same spot. BOOM another hook up, this time I passed the rod onto my dad to fight the fish and I took over netting duty as I was more agile. I got down to the lowest rock and he had maneuvered the fish to my foot but it just wouldn't get into the net. Luckily the swell and incoming wave brought the fish into the rock platform just at my foot and washed the salmon into a corner. I quickly wedged the net into the corner of the rock and just as the fish had one last stand and went for a jump the leader snapped and the fish fell right into the net. A sigh of relief ensued and I quickly brought up the fish for a few happy snaps. The fish went 63cm and will be cooked asian style for dinner! Great day with the fam and dad as I don't get to see him often as he is overseas. First salmon experience aswell. Safe to say I am more hooked on fishing than ever, and lesson learnt. Always bring the bigger rod.

We stayed for another hour but didn't manage another hook up but we saw a 2m+ stingray swim right under us and 1m+ groper stick his head out for a look just below our rock. Amazing experience up on the central coast and I'm definitely excited for the Summer fishing.

post-35889-0-62841600-1442722139_thumb.jpg

Dad is cheering!

post-35889-0-80850400-1442722141_thumb.jpg

post-35889-0-33898100-1442722145_thumb.jpg

Edited by allen_f

Well done Allen

I think we spoke about this trip during your planning stages.

Great Sambo! They are great fun and despite popular beleif if bled and cleaned correctly make a nice meal.

If you head up this way again they are getting plenty of them along Blacksmiths/ Belmont beach (directly opposite Lucy's Wall where you are pictured).

Guest Guest123456789

Great fish Allen and post. My father in law pulled up a whopping big flatty a couple of weeks back and we lost it just before going into the net.

Great fish bro!!! Well done

Wooo! Thanks :D

Great first Sambo Allen. Your dad looks very happy. I had to look twice he looks a lot like Anh Do.

Hahaha thanks ambrose, i didn't notice that till now tbh! He kinda does look like Anh Do now that you mention it LOL

Good post that Allen. Good luck in COTM :)

mrsswordfisherman

Thanks Donna :D

Well done Allen

I think we spoke about this trip during your planning stages.

Great Sambo! They are great fun and despite popular beleif if bled and cleaned correctly make a nice meal.

If you head up this way again they are getting plenty of them along Blacksmiths/ Belmont beach (directly opposite Lucy's Wall where you are pictured).

Here's hoping! Mum's cooking it up tonight so I hope it tastes delicious :) The spot is amazing, no doubt it'd be even better in calmer conditions, can't wait for my next break to go back!

Great fish Allen and post. My father in law pulled up a whopping big flatty a couple of weeks back and we lost it just before going into the net.

Thanks luke! I feel like netting them is the hardest part :(