Sea pike - what's the legal size?

Mike89

Guest no one

For?

Caught Snapper & Kings on fresh Pike as well as all the reef species. Found it very productive - even better than Crimson Banded Wrasse which i found as exceptional bait for Aussie Salmon believe it or not.

Caught Snapper & Kings on fresh Pike as well as all the reef species. Found it very productive - even better than Crimson Banded Wrasse which i found as exceptional bait for Aussie Salmon believe it or not.

I have to concur with Ed here.

A LBG mate of mine form the 80's was horrified when I threw one back in a bait collecting session. Reckoned he'd rather have

a pike than a yakka or slimey anytime as a gun King or Tuna Bait.

Heard lots of old stories of them being great king baits but never caught them when I needed them. They can also be easily rigged as a marlin swim bait.

I think they tend to find them more during the winter months when the Kings are less active.

Pike were in plague proportions last week at Long Reef.

Edited by fragmeister

They were always a bycatch in winter for us but I rigged a couple as swim baits for marlin and they went well. The flat narrow head had them working like a bibles minnow. Problem is catching and freezing them in winter to run in summer. There are better baits but you can make them work.

Guest no one

I caught one a few months back which we skull dragged for a mile with out realising it was on, the drag was set a touch too tight but clicked a couple of times so we thought it was a missed hit. about 15 mins later we got a huge hit off Coogees wedding cake island - but no weight when we hit it. We got the diver in with half a dead pike with its eyes popping out, the rest of it was ripped apart - we could only assume it was a Bonito as we caught one about 2 mins after.

It was the first and only fish I caught on my 60LD Penn Squall year to date.

Does anyone know what the legal size for pike (snook, short-fin sea pike) is?

I'm guessing you caught this fish in Sydney, now it would be unlikely to be a Short-fin Sea pike (Snook) Sphyraena novaehollandiae.

More likely it would be a Longfin Pike, (Dinolestes lewini) the most common one around and I believe this is the one every one is talking about.

You may have caught a Striped Sea Pike (Sphyraena obtusata) many other common names for this critter, certain not as common and a lot skinnier with stripes along its body.

Matter of fact I caught a one of these in Sydney harbour only a couple of weeks ago but I would guess it would not weigh much over 400 grms even though it was a long fish.

Now this is my 2 cents worth, without a photo hard to ID correctly. Anything is possible.

BF. :)

I'm guessing you caught this fish in Sydney, now it would be unlikely to be a Short-fin Sea pike (Snook) Sphyraena novaehollandiae.

More likely it would be a Longfin Pike, (Dinolestes lewini) the most common one around and I believe this is the one every one is talking about.

You may have caught a Striped Sea Pike (Sphyraena obtusata) many other common names for this critter, certain not as common and a lot skinnier with stripes along its body.

Matter of fact I caught a one of these in Sydney harbour only a couple of weeks ago but I would guess it would not weigh much over 400 grms even though it was a long fish.

Now this is my 2 cents worth, without a photo hard to ID correctly. Anything is possible.

BF. :)

Thanks! Yes I was having trouble with the ID. That must be the one.

Thanks all - we made the call that at 30cm and with nothing about the limits on the DPI website that it was probably fine to keep.

Next time at that size I might just use it for bait.