Two nights of madness

Crossfire63

My mate and I have just finished our annual fishing trip. This year we chose Peter Faust Dam near Proserpine.

Our guide for the trip was well known local Lindsay Dobe. We had planned to fish the day light hours for Barra. On Lindsay's advice our plans quickly changed owing to the fact that it was a full moon .

Lindsay suggested we fish the late afternoon and into the evening, So we headed out at 4pm. The other advantage of this method of fishing is you avoid the stifling heat of the daylight hours.

On the water by 5pm and Lindsay had us on the spot by 5:10pm and we started the ritual of cast and retrieve. (This place has been known as the land of a thousand casts). 5 minutes in and the familiar "wooof" of a big Barra hitting a stick bait and my mates onto to his first ever Barramundi. A couple of minutes latter and his in the net and on the boat. 1.08 metres of North Qld Barra. Not a bad effort for your first ever. After the obligatory photo's the big girl was returned to the depths.

The ritual continues cast and retrieve, cast and retrieve, over and over and then "wooff" again and my mates into another. A 98cm thumper.

While Lindsay and my mate deal with this one I keep casting off the front of the the boat and right at the boat my lure gets taken and this one has taken off like a steam train. After a good fight another 98cm comes on board the boat.

We continued on through the night until around high tide 2am dodging thousands of bats and millions of insects for a total of 18 fish between 90cms and 108cms.

Nursing sore arms and wrists after a solid 10hrs of casting the next day we decided to try a a bit of trolling so Lindsay steered us towards the old river bed along the tree line and set two RMG Poltegeist out the back of the boat.

Over the next two hrs of trolling the tree line we brought in 4 more barra all between 90cm and 98cms. As the sun went behind the hills and a thunderstorm rattled over the surrounding hills we settled back to our spot from the previous night.

Over the next 4 hrs of casting we managed to bring another 6 barra including one more "metery" at 102cm. Increasing winds and plumeting temps put us off the water early.

All in all a pretty successful trip. 28 fish in two days including two over a meter

post-33391-0-73659200-1444024874_thumb.jpg

post-33391-0-05247300-1444024950_thumb.jpg

post-33391-0-95999500-1444024955_thumb.jpg

post-33391-0-30444900-1444024962_thumb.jpg

post-33391-0-05872700-1444024971_thumb.jpg

Crossfire,

Give yourself an upper cut and make it HARD!

"All in all a pretty successful trip. 28 fish in two days including two over a meter."

"pretty successful trip" NO

BLOODY Fantastic trip

Nice Read.

JD

To qualify that. Two blokes in a boat about 50 metres from us bagged 15 in 2hrs between midnight and 2am on the first night with 4 over a metre.

Edited by Crossfire63