Sashimi!

Camo1808

Ok this may sound silly but im asking anyway haha.

What is sashimi??

I know it is just like fresh raw fish and thays prettu much it but i wanna know the ins and outs.

I have a forster trip planned in 3 weeks and want to know really what fish is gpod and bad sashimi and how to prep it?

Is it literally just catch a fish, fillet it, de skin the fish then eat it?

Therefor raises me to my next question if i hopk an edible fish for sushimi can i do it then and there on the yak for a quick feed haha.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Don't clean a fish and eat is as sashimi straight away, I made this mistake once and it was very rubbery. it's best to fillet and leave the fillets in the fridge for at least a couple of hours.

In my opinion Trevally, Kingfish, Snapper and Bonito make the best fresh sashimi of the fish we catch around here.

Fillet and skin, leave the fillets in the fridge for a while, then slice thinly and serve with soy sauce and wasabi. One of my most favourite ways to enjoy a fresh catch!

Don't clean a fish and eat is as sashimi straight away, I made this mistake once and it was very rubbery. it's best to fillet and leave the fillets in the fridge for at least a couple of hours.

In my opinion Trevally, Kingfish, Snapper and Bonito make the best fresh sashimi of the fish we catch around here.

Fillet and skin, leave the fillets in the fridge for a while, then slice thinly and serve with soy sauce and wasabi. One of my most favourite ways to enjoy a fresh catch!

Ahh wicked!! Thanks for the info link. Will try this. We regularly get trevs as by catch at our sambo spot and always throw em back. Might try keep one next time and give it a whirl!! Thanks mate

Ahh wicked!! Thanks for the info link. Will try this. We regularly get trevs as by catch at our sambo spot and always throw em back. Might try keep one next time and give it a whirl!! Thanks mate

No worries, just make sure to discard any red meat from the fillets before munching on them or it'll be quite strong. trevs have a really nice firm texture and you'll be surprised by the superb flavour when freshly done as sashimi

Man dont throw trevs back. Besides great sashimi they are great on the BBQ and being oily great for you.

On the BBQ a couple of slits either side olive oil salt pepper squeeze of lemon and then wrap in al foil. Cook a couple minutes either side.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Man dont throw trevs back. Besides great sashimi they are great on the BBQ and being oily great for you.

On the BBQ a couple of slits either side olive oil salt pepper squeeze of lemon and then wrap in al foil. Cook a couple minutes either side.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Provides me another great choice. I love a good barby haha

I normally bleed the fish straight away, this reduces the blood in the meat.

As mentioned above, don't clean it, as in don't gut it. Just fillet both sides. Skin both fillets. Then cut the fillets in half length wise, along the blood line and cut out any red meat along the blood line. Give a quick rinse in water. Slice the fillets into pieces that are about 5cm length, 1cm width and thickness you want about 50mm. Once all sliced up put in fridge for 1-2 hours to chill. Put it on a plate and wrap in glad wrap.

15mins before you take it out, get lemon and sprinkle around (not too much, just random sprinkles), put it back in the fridge for 10 minutes with glad wrap. This cures the fish, turns it slightly white.

Sauce: Get a couple stems of Shallots. Dice it finely.

Get wasabi and soy sauce, mix both into a bowl until you reached a desired taste. Then throw in the finely diced shallots.

You can either dip the sashimi into the sauce or simply pour it into the plate over the sashimi, beautiful!

As mentioned above, don't clean it, as in don't gut it. Just fillet both sides. Skin both fillets. Then cut the fillets in half length wise, along the blood line and cut out any red meat along the blood line. Give a quick rinse in water. Slice the fillets into pieces that are about 5cm length, 1cm width and thickness you want about 50mm.

I assume you mean 5mm thickness?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What I've heard chimes with what most here are saying - sashimi tastes better when the fish or fillets have refrigerated for a day prior to slicing it up for the table.

That said, you most definitely can dice it up for a quick feed on the yak. Just carry some soy sauce and wasabi in your tackle bag and you'll be rewarded with a surprisingly good snack that will really hit the spot after a couple of hours out fishing when the belly starts to rumble..

My first trev sashimi was one a mate had caught late in a beach session. We were heading to another spot and he prep'd it there. Went down beautifully, I was blown away by how nice and fresh it tasted.

BUT even better after a day on the cool-down.

That said, you most definitely can dice it up for a quick feed on the yak. Just carry some soy sauce and wasabi in your tackle bag and you'll be rewarded with a surprisingly good snack that will really hit the spot after a couple of hours out fishing when the belly starts to rumble..

Just be mindful it is technically illegal to fillet a fish while out on the boat/yak unless it's one that doesn't have a size limit... You'd have to be pretty unlucky to get in trouble over it but

Just be mindful it is technically illegal to fillet a fish while out on the boat/yak unless it's one that doesn't have a size limit... You'd have to be pretty unlucky to get in trouble over it but

Yes, listen to this guy! Most definitely true. I'll take back what I said.

I don't like that rule because it really limits what you're able to do (filleting for baits or snacks, cleaning fish) conveniently.

But rules are rules and there are reasons for rules.

Edited by Mike89

Does this apply to houseboats and the like also?

I caught a flathead and cooked it for dinner on a houseboat once, technically I'm still on the water so is that illegal?

Thats a great point!! I dont know the ins and out of this law. Im prettu sure its something along the lines of can not clean gut or fillet a fish on navigational waters

Trevally sashimi is right up there and when I don't get any kingfish they are a great alternative and just as good for sashimi, as mentioned above its important to bleed the fish and keep them cold for a good few hours to let the meat firm up.

post-11865-0-22950500-1444302475_thumb.jpg

that's a plate of fresh trevally sashimi, doesn't get much better

Thanks for posting an interesting topic, Camo.

It's nice to hear everyone's feedback. Nowadays I always bleed, gill and gut any catch for the table and never wash it in tap water (thank you to Steve for that one), the most I do is give it a quick rinse in the net in the place where I caught it and dry it off, then into a coolbox with ice blocks. Finally, I clean it with dry kitchen paper when I get home and (more often than not) make a mess of the filleting. I've yet to try any catch as sashimi, but I'm really keen to give the next legal trev caught out east a shot.

Just wondering: I know oily pelagic fish tend to be used more often as sashimi, but is there a reason estuary species like bream, flathead and whiting aren't? Does it have something to do with the oil content of the flesh?

It's nice to hear everyone's feedback. Nowadays I always bleed, gill and gut any catch for the table and never wash it in tap water (thank you to Steve for that one), the most I do is give it a quick rinse in the net in the place where I caught it and dry it off, then into a coolbox with ice blocks. Finally, I clean it with dry kitchen paper when I get home and (more often than not) make a mess of the filleting. I've yet to try any catch as sashimi, but I'm really keen to give the next legal trev caught out east a shot.

Just wondering: I know oily pelagic fish tend to be used more often as sashimi, but is there a reason estuary species like bream, flathead and whiting aren't? Does it have something to do with the oil content of the flesh?

No dramas ads. Its great to hear everyones opinion. I have got exactly the info i need. However the more the better.

Love your question and would love to kmow the answer for the bread and butter species hey.

I'm not the best filleter, so when I'm filleting my flathead or bream I always end up going back and getting a few more slivers of meat off the frame. These are my favorite part though, straight into some soy sauce and eaten raw. I'd have to say that I'd rather flathead sashimi than trevally.

I have had bream before in a sushi restaurant.

My guess is that most people don't think about eating bream or flathead as sashimi as they are so good cooked that there's no reason to tempt them to taste it raw.

The one thing that I haven't tried yet is squid eggs. Any one know if you can eat them raw? I've had a few squid lately full of eggs...

For me it depends on where the fish are caught, I'd have no problem eating a bream caught on the beach miles away from the parra river as Sashimi, but I wouldn't eat any bream I caught anywhere in the harbour without cooking it (even though I only fish East of the bridge), they are just too territorial and can be very old...just a mental thing maybe more than anything.

Flathead is good as sashimi, one that hasn't been mentioned as well is whiting, one of the best fish to eat no matter how you prepare it.

Edited by Linc

For me it depends on where the fish are caught, I'd have no problem eating a bream caught on the beach miles away from the parra river as Sashimi, but I wouldn't eat any bream I caught anywhere in the harbour without cooking it (even though I only fish East of the bridge), they are just too territorial and can be very old...just a mental thing maybe more than anything.

Flathead is good as sashimi, one that hasn't been mentioned as well is whiting, one of the best fish to eat no matter how you prepare it.

Couldn't agree more mate. Whiting is one of my favourite eating fish. Will have to try as sushimi