Did I Almost Catch A Kingy?

Guest Guest123456789

Guest Guest123456789

Raiders,

Had two hook ups and lost them both. The fights were unlike anything I've had. Let me explain.

So I was targeting bream. The rig was half pillies with a running sinker. I was fishing from the rocks. 16lbs braid to 16lbs fluro.

When I first hooked them up, I thought it was a big bream or trav. Usual head shakes. As I got the fish close it started to run hard in short, sharp bursts. I was fishimg off a ledge and it started running hard along the ledge. Again short sharp bursts, taking a fair whack of line.

After a 1 or 2 min fight I got busted off close to the hook both times. My 5 metre leader was shredded too.

From this spot I've caught bream, tailor, flathead, travs, bronze whalers, port Jackson sharks, rays etc. it definitely wasn't a port jackson or ray, like I said plenty of head shakes and short sharp runs (as opposed to the dead weight type of runs you get from rays, sharks etc).

Thanks for your help. Cheers.

Yeah salmon definately throw their heads around down deep mate, we've been landing quiet a few decent specimens recently off Avoca. In saying that there has also been plenty of rats around 55-60cms early mornings got smoked twice yesterday by bigger versions on 30lb though.

Hey mate went down today and got donuts but there was no bait in the water that I could see which is always a worrying sign and the water was down to 19 degrees. Really depends usually I throw bigger plastics like a 5 or 7 inch Zman Jerk Shad running 20lb braid to either 30 or 40lb fluoro, I'll usually take another one of my snapper rods which I run 10lb braid with 15lb fluoro always rigged with a white 5 inch Zman just for a bit of fun

I'd be ruling out sambo ... For the simple reason that you say both times the line has been bitten/ busted off just before the hook & the line is shredded & the fact your running 8 kg line (which is more than enough for any sambo) you definetly had an incounter with something that had TEETH !!!

I dunno, I'd say for a start you didn't almost catch anything... As it smashed your rig apart before you got close to landing it.

So did you hook a king? Head shakes - no no no, I'd call salmon and you got snapped by it rubbing on rocks. Other contenders could be Eagle Rays, as the wings feel like head shakes, Groper or even a Bonny. Although if it was a bonito those 'head shakes' would be constant vibrations through the line. Bonnies shake like tuna.

Also if you have a fish stripping 16lb braid I'd say you have your drag too low. Unless it's a big fish... 16lbs of pressure to snap that line is a lot and a fish to strip line would either be a big fish or you have your drag too low. As you said your leader was shredded - 100% broke on the rocks.

Also if you have a fish stripping 16lb braid I'd say you have your drag too low. Unless it's a big fish... 16lbs of pressure to snap that line is a lot and a fish to strip line would either be a big fish or you have your drag too low. As you said your leader was shredded - 100% broke on the rocks.

Agree! Sambo for sure and shredded on the rocks!

Tough fishing hey Luke!

It's not fun getting busted off on a big unexpected run. My mate called me yesterday and then today telling me about a couple of insane runs he had yesterday, the first in the morning and another later in the afternoon.

Asked him what they were and he couldn't give an answer. Just said both were real strong and took off like a bullet, the first nearly shooting off with his friend's rod.

And like my mate you'll never know for sure what it was either!

You'll get him next time.

Where do you fish?

Edited by Mike89