Which is closer to the peak

fisholb

Remember though it can be a fair run to just get to Botany Heads (depending on where you launch).

True - Pretty much the same as the Harbour the though.

I usually troll it, takes about 45 mins if i dont get side tracked with Dolphins.

It's 14.2 miles from Sylvania Waters Ramp through Botany heads taking a realistic line

Its 14.8 miles from Rose Bay Ramp through the Harbour taking a realistic line.

So... 0.6 miles, if you were launching from Foreshore in Botany then take 0.5 miles off and if you were launching deeper in the harbour add some more on, Either way Botany is closer using popular ramps.

I'd question if saving the 0.6/1.1 miles launching from Sylvania/Foreshore is worth the extra tow time than Rose Bay if you live closer to that ramp. From my motor the trip out of Botany would only save me about $1.50c in gas using the boat. So if you live closer to the harbour ramps and dont mind sitting in the City traffic then I'd suggest going from the Harbour as the gas saving is minimal and the time lost going all the way to Botany wont make up for time on the water.

It's 14.2 miles from Sylvania Waters Ramp through Botany heads taking a realistic line

So... 0.6 miles, if you were launching from Foreshore in Botany then take 0.5 miles off and if you were launching deeper in the harbour add some more on, Either way Botany is closer using popular ramps.

I'd question if saving the 0.6/1.1 miles launching from Sylvania/Foreshore is worth the extra tow time than Rose Bay if you live closer to that ramp. From my motor the trip out of Botany would only save me about $1.50c in gas using the boat. So if you live closer to the harbour ramps and dont mind sitting in the City traffic then I'd suggest going from the Harbour as the gas saving is minimal and the time lost going all the way to Botany wont make up for time on the water.

Well said ED !!!

Looking at the map it seems about double the distance to reach Botany Heads from Sylvania Waters or the Cooks River ramps as it is from Rose Bay ramp to Sydney Heads. In any case as has been pointed out it is somewhat of a false premise to use the heads as your starting point.

Edited by billfisher

Looking at the map it seems about double the distance to reach Botany Heads from Sylvania Waters or the Cooks River ramps as it is from Rose Bay ramp to Sydney Heads. In any case as has been pointed out it is somewhat of a false premise to use the heads as your starting point.

I plotted my findings from Navionics...

13.7 From Foreshore Rd

14.2 From Sylvania Ramp

14.6 From Rose Bay

Regardless of the distance from the headlands the shorter route from realistic plotting (avoiding cliffs and entrance swells) Botany (Foreshore Rd ramp at 13.7m) is closer to the Peak than the nearest Harbour ramp. I think using the headlands as a point of distance is irrelevant due to the distance it takes to get to the headlands from the nearest ramp.

But back to my other point... if Fisholb gave us the location he was towing the boat from then we could give him the best ramp to go from to save Boat Fuel and also maximize on water time.

Remember though it can be a fair run to just get to Botany Heads (depending on where you launch).

We usually use the foreshore ramp so it wont take us long to reach the heads...thanks

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info mate...really appreciate it...

I plotted my findings from Navionics...

13.7 From Foreshore Rd

14.2 From Sylvania Ramp

14.6 From Rose Bay

Regardless of the distance from the headlands the shorter route from realistic plotting (avoiding cliffs and entrance swells) Botany (Foreshore Rd ramp at 13.7m) is closer to the Peak than the nearest Harbour ramp. I think using the headlands as a point of distance is irrelevant due to the distance it takes to get to the headlands from the nearest ramp.

But back to my other point... if Fisholb gave us the location he was towing the boat from then we could give him the best ramp to go from to save Boat Fuel and also maximize on water time.

We use foreshore and drummoyne...thanks again for all the help...

• 1 month later...