Sad story for this kayaker

mrsswordfisherman

While I know not all jetski riders are reckless there certainly are a large number just out to annoy and harass people. Anyone that's been on the water the last few weekends will know the general boat traffic that's around and just takes a bit of extra common sense and courtesy to stay safe. Unfortunately I'm sure there is a Judge just waiting to slap this ski rider with a wet tissue over the wrist.

Georges has had idiots in jet skis for a while, they all seem to not know what an 8knot zone is too.

Seen maritime up around picnic point a few times, not there for the boats but the jet skis.

The stats in that article are bad, but not surprising. 8 accidents in 12 months :o

Bloody IDOTS !!!!! Ban them all !!!!!!! I wonder if the DIPS**T in the third photo has been fined ???? It Cleary shows the speed limit in the background & the idiot is going way faster than 4 knots in the direction indicated ... You can Cleary make his face & vessel registration !! So I'm curious to know if any action was taken against that DIPS**T ?????

Edited by 4myson

I think its all down to Maritime not doing their job, Last time i was out in Botany there was 4 Maritime boats doing training exercises outside and not one checked any boats.

So if they all sat around the blind corners in the Georges and pounced on the Jet Skis when they broke them rules - well... in a day they'd fund 20 years of Maritime Christmas parties!!!

Its 100000% Maritimes fault for not enforcing rules and now why would anyone stick to them? Quite happy to fine someone for going 2 meters inside a no go zone though.

Guest Guest123456789

ban them before they kill one of the scouts kids. d$%%head jetskiers, they're worse than those guys with little willies who ride overly noisy motorbikes.

Ive had more problems with "mummy and daddy funded" 30hp tinnies than I have with jetskiers. With summer coming up all the idiots will be coming out like cockraoches, not just jetskiers, but boaties as well. Hope all is well for the kayaker at the end of the day and the culprit is penalized heavily

****, poor bugger. I get super nervous when the jetskiers are around and I'm on the yak. As someone else said, though, it's also the youngsters on some of their crafts - I've been circled by them once or twice. Most people are pretty good, but it only takes one idiot to put your life in danger.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't think saying "It's all Maritime's fault" is a fair analysis. What ever happened to personal responsibility? Following the rules? No matter how many patrols they can manage to have on the water with the funding they have, it comes back to the same core issue. Watercraft operators need to adhere to the rules or lose their license. Maritime should be increasing the penalties, both fines and loss or suspension of license for offences. The best way to rid the waterways of wrongdoers is to take away their licenses. The person charged in this article should have their license suspended until the court date and if found guilty be banned from holding a license for 2 years plus a very hefty fine at the least.

I also don't see why they can't have some sort of speed camera system for the waterway either. Especially in the Georges the river is narrow enough to mount a fixed camera on the river bank.