Looking for a relatively experienced squid master

GoingFishing

After hearing some wise words of wisdom, I've convinced myself that the only way il get any chance of catching squid is to spend a whole session learning and practising the technique. I currently couldn't catch a squid if my life depended on it.

I'm wondering if any experienced squid master would be willing to spend a session showing me the technique and possibly some locations. Also a good chance to meet another raider.

I am willing to make it worth your while possibly by purchasing a squid jig of your choice :)

Looking to preferably fish botany or sydney harbour and would be on my boat, il provide lunch too.! PM me if this sounds like something you would be interested in.

Cheers fellas :)

Hey Buddy,

I can offer some tips!

Depending on where you're fishing, squiding has a couple of techniques.

The 2 main techniques are drifting and cast and retrieving.

Drifting: This is required when the area you're fishing has fast current, because its too hard to cast and retrieve as your jig won't hit the bottom.

So for this you would use a Paternoster Rig and drift away!

Cast and retrieve: You need slow current or no current at all, Eg. Bays. Put simply the technique is very similar to catching Flathead. Cast, let it sink to the bottom, line goes slack, 1 or 2 sharp jerks up, wind up the slack, let it drop to the bottom and repeat. The squid will hit the jig 90% of the time on the drop, hence the sharp jerks up should be very high giving it more time to drop.

Botany bay, you'll get them around La Perouse, or on the opposite side around the South Head land.

Sydney around Balmoral and Spit Bridge.

Down South has monster squids, I had a yakka down on a single hook outside of Belami, pulled up this incredibly heavy dead weight in about 50m of water, dude massive Calamari, this thing must have been 6-7kg, unfortunately it released as it got close to the boat as it was not hooked, just holding on.

Colors is sort of random, generally night is bright colors like Orange or Pink or White, day time Brown, Blue and Green, sometimes it just a lottery mate.

PM me if you want to chat further =)

Hi,

I am no squid master by no means, I manage a few here and there landbased.

The spots landbased are generally around light up piers and kelp beds.

I always seem to do better when I use lighter yo-zuri jigs in bright colours at night never tried for squid during the day.

as for getting squid on your boat, I have never done this before but by what I see on TV and from here you need to work out where the kelp beds are for a start, not sure If you have a sounder or not that is capable of doing this.

It is also worth getting yourself a squid spike I think they are called which basically can be used on a whole yakka / pilly and just drop it on the bottom when your looking for squid spots and if there are squid around they will go for your bait and get spiked and then you will know that area holds squid.

Good Luck on getting squid, you will be a pro in no time.

Regards,

Nathan

While you wait for a raider to take you out have a read of our articles on it in the Articles section (button up top left of forum)

Apologies if you have already read them

http://www.fishraider.com.au/fishing-articles/spit-bridge-squidding.php

http://www.fishraider.com.au/fishing-articles/how-to-catch-squid.php

http://www.fishraider.com.au/fishing-articles/squidding-sydney-harbour.php

Mate Iv caught my fair share of squid in botany and hacking, don't usually fish the harbour but same rules apply to all systems, Low flow, on or near HT, dusk and dawn, (however my biggest green eye at 2kg was caught in 1 metre of water at midday),so anytime of day/night can produce, water should be clear with some weed beds and/or rocky structure...... And as said above.... Número uno tip.....Good quality jigs!

Pm me if u wanna have a crack mate