Balmoral overnight

SgtBundy

Went out late to try on high tide overnight at balmoral wharf, getting there around 10:30. As I only had some old salted pillies my plan was to try and get some live bait and set that out for a jewie.

No touches despite heavy burley and generally just quiet. Around 11:30 I noticed something in the water and spotted multiple squid free swimming. As I went to get a jig I realised I swapped that tray out of my bag last week and it was back in the car. Quick trot to the car and back and ready to go. As the squid were on the surface I used a slow roll with the odd pause across the top and a few casts in had my first arrow squid.

I kept prospecting and found them again in close. Another two jumped on when I was just standing there with the jig dangling below the wharf while I looked for activity. In total I got 6 over a few hours.

f54d75f18e01fce08ebe84e1a9598d7c.jpg

I tried to set one out live but the rig was for my 12ft rod so was cumbersome on the 7ft rod I brought so it was only throwing distance out. It wasn't touched anyway. It was a probably a bit big for a live bait anyway and was recovered to take home.

After midnight a family arrived pulling lots of yakkas out but as I was out of burley I couldnt entice them to where I was. Good to see they are about again though.

I tried cooking 3 of the squid tonight for calamari rings but it was a bit of a disaster and a bit bland, more because of my batter I think - needed a little spicing up and I should have tried soaking the rings in kiwi fruit as I have seen suggested.

e891b85c45855140158967d0a63dbf4e.jpg

The other 3 will go towards bait for the next session.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

*edit to fix typos on phone

Edited by SgtBundy

Nice take. I really ought to have a serious go of this squidding, they never seem to be in short supply down there.

Should have stayed a couple more hours yesterday I would have ran into you.

Good job on the squiddies, I'm sure they tasted pretty good anyway!

We do a lot of squidding getting right down to the kelp but around structure at night I often find them up at the surface.

I usually do like a soft plastic hop across the bottom for squid - but seeing as I could see they had no problem on the surface I figured to keep it around there. There was the odd splash on the surface which I figured might be squid chasing yakkas or something so I didnt bother trying the whole depth. Even when I dropped it in front of the wharf straight down I was only going down 2-3 ft where they were hitting it. Usually when I try I go back towards the beach over the weed beds there but this was straight out towards the moorings.

Nice take. I really ought to have a serious go of this squidding, they never seem to be in short supply down there.

Should have stayed a couple more hours yesterday I would have ran into you.

Good job on the squiddies, I'm sure they tasted pretty good anyway!

Thanks - my best squid haul so far. I did consider staying through till dawn to set out some baits then but my daughter had swimming lessons in the morning.

I think next time I might try them as straight out strips not rings and see if I can manage salt and pepper.

Nice post, it's nice when the squid literally just hop onto your jig, yet other times they'll stare at it and tease you but not touch it.

Not sure what happened to your batter, looks a bit lumpy? try 50% corn flour, 50% self raising, add a pinch of baking powder then pour in beer till you get the right consistency. Fresh squid shouldn't need any flavouring, just make up a dip with lemon juice, white pepper and salt and your mouth will be watering in no time, mine is just thinking about it!

Nice post, it's nice when the squid literally just hop onto your jig, yet other times they'll stare at it and tease you but not touch it.

Not sure what happened to your batter, looks a bit lumpy? try 50% corn flour, 50% self raising, add a pinch of baking powder then pour in beer till you get the right consistency. Fresh squid shouldn't need any flavouring, just make up a dip with lemon juice, white pepper and salt and your mouth will be watering in no time, mine is just thinking about it!

If you go 70% beer and 30% Vodka the batter is awsome.

I got a bit experimental with the batter trying to take a short cut and it just became thick lumps that wouldnt stick. Normally just dip in flour, then egg them crumbs but this time I tried mixing it.

Will try the above suggestions next time

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Guest Guest123456789

I cooked squid over the weekend using Jamie Oliver's recipe. Tastier than any fish I've ever caught (in by opinion).