Rigging live/fresh squid

Rock&Beach

I'd say it really depends on two inter-related factors. 1. the size of the squid 2. the size of kingy you are targeting.

Bigger squid means that there is a great deal more surface area that the fish can bite into. A sliding snell knot with one hook in the top of the hood and one just above the head would work. The notion being that a kingy looks to take baits head first.

For smaller squid I just put a hook through the top of the hood. I found that the hook up rate is still pretty good as the bigger fish tend to engulf the squid.

If I was to strip the squid I would consider using the two hook snell just because it is less likely to spin around or bunch up on the hooks.

Hi guys,

just curious as I'm not really familiar with Snelling hooks, what would be the advantage of snelling vs normal gang hooks? I've been using gangs for whole pillies & strip baits with some success and was thinking of doing the same with a larger squid, but maybe snelling is a better option?

By Snelling the top hook you can slide it to the best spot to secure the Squid. With gang hooks you are restricted to the spacing. A two or three gang hook rig is also quite rigid meaning the squid won't float as naturally.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great thanks for the reply. Basically what I was thinking.

Do the squid stay alive very well?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I rig mine with just a single 4/0 though the top of the hood. I have learned:

1. Just lobbing it a couple of metres it will last all day, or until it gets hit.

2. A 'light' cast, it will last around 20min or 2-3 casts.

3. Trying to launch it into orbit.... it will last around 5.8sec. :blink: