Fishing at Pitt Water

William101000

Fishing surface poppers won't get you a flathead :P

You didn't watch Fishing with ET this weekend did you? Because that happened - more than once.

Bro look - the people on this website are massively helpful, can tell you what's wrong with your setup to what's wrong with your location... But what they can't tell you is what you're doing wrong from the information you have given. If you want help you need to give us all the information about what you want help on.

Use the search feature for more info on your location.

Nah man but flatties will hit all lures in the right water depth, don't forget they are ambush predators, and if they're lying in the sand flats at low tide they'd hit a popper.

Hi mate,

I had a blast with the pelagics in Pittwater on lures from the kayak last year and am looking forward to doing it again. Here's some info that might help, but bear in mind it comes from very limited experience.

• I spoke to the guys in Narra B+T the other week. According to them, they haven't properly moved in to the main stretch yet. They're holding up the top, deep, and are still quite slow off the mark. Bait will work, but lures are tough work
  • The Salmon are venturing down a bit, but not in the huge numbers we'd like. Also, at the moment pretty much all over Sydney the Sambo seem to be feeding on micro bait, meaning they're proving tough to entice. See tef1on's report the other week from around lion island
  • The mac tuna etc. won't be around for a while, so it's just kings, sambo, tailor, and trevs up for grabs at the moment, but see point 1
  • When they do run in, here's what I learned...
    • The moored boats around the northern edge of Scotland island often have fish holding in the area
    • Twice I had kings knocking about the surface in the morning in Lovett (and/or morning) bay
    • I had the best session of my life in Careel bay one morning. They were all around the boats going bananas on bait fish. To this point, we found a good way to entice them on to the bait fish when they're single minded is to wacky rig bait fish looking SPs. Cast in to the shoal and let sink. Because of the way they're rigged, they sink like a dying fish
    • The lads on the boats during 'on' season just chased the birds and bust ups. Tough going on a kayak. They had success on metals.

Read this - it's old but still very relevant: http://www.fishraider.com.au/fishing-articles/fishing-pittwater.php

Hope it helps. I would suggest it's a bit early to be chasing the pelagics on lures up there at the moment, though. Give it at least a month.

Edited by Razzell

Hi mate,

I had a blast with the pelagics in Pittwater on lures from the kayak last year and am looking forward to doing it again. Here's some info that might help, but bear in mind it comes from very limited experience.

• I spoke to the guys in Narra B+T the other week. According to them, they haven't properly moved in to the main stretch yet. They're holding up the top, deep, and are still quite slow off the mark. Bait will work, but lures are tough work
  • The Salmon are venturing down a bit, but not in the huge numbers we'd like. Also, at the moment pretty much all over Sydney the Sambo seem to be feeding on micro bait, meaning they're proving tough to entice. See tef1on's report the other week from around lion island
  • The mac tuna etc. won't be around for a while, so it's just kings, sambo, tailor, and trevs up for grabs at the moment, but see point 1
  • When they do run in, here's what I learned...
  • The moored boats around the northern edge of Scotland island often have fish holding in the area
  • Twice I had kings knocking about the surface in the morning in Lovett (and/or morning) bay
  • I had the best session of my life in Careel bay one morning. They were all around the boats going bananas on bait fish. To this point, we found a good way to entice them on to the bait fish when they're single minded is to wacky rig bait fish looking SPs. Cast in to the shoal and let sink. Because of the way they're rigged, they sink like a dying fish
  • The lads on the boats during 'on' season just chased the birds and bust ups. Tough going on a kayak. They had success on metals.
Read this - it's old but still very relevant: http://www.fishraider.com.au/fishing-articles/fishing-pittwater.php

Hope it helps. I would suggest it's a bit early to be chasing the pelagics on lures up there at the moment, though. Give it at least a month.

Top man!